Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This.

Do not buy anything rusted as a DD.

There are plenty of non rusted ones out there for that price.

Also if a diesel isn't needed then a gasser would be a much easier / cheaper to keep running and cost less to purchase.
i agree with this, but a gas engine in those years usually had the 460, 9 mpg whether hauling or not :laughing:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I like the fact that your kid is interested.

So now it’s time to educate him and let him make his decisions with his money.

Start with letting him read this thread. Explain what he is getting into with this truck.

One of the things I remember about this conversation with my dad was “ spend more up front for a more reliable rig or spend less and pay for it later”.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I like the fact that your kid is interested.

So now it’s time to educate him and let him make his decisions with his money.
This.

Let him buy what he want, it’s his money. But make him to buy AAA membership so you won’t get on the hook on tow bills or step out of the way to tow it back home.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
i agree with this, but a gas engine in those years usually had the 460, 9 mpg whether hauling or not :laughing:
True but OP said that the son would not drive very many miles per year so I would think that lower up front cost + lower maintenance costs / repairs would = the difference in MPG's

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,270 Posts
This.

Let him buy what he want, it’s his money. But make him to buy AAA membership so you won’t get on the hook on tow bills or step out of the way to tow it back home.
I never had AAA. I had to network and figure it out.

Taught me good lessons and made me jump through hoops.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Any reason for the diesel? Look for a gas powered version off of the coast. You are less likely to be hit with the retarded price people want for a diesel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally being from the rust belt I can't stress enough that going inland and getting a rust free truck is SOOOO worth it just to avoid the hassles of hidden rust damage. ESPECIALLY around the windshield because those when that starts to leak (if it isn't already) it allows water into all the electrical shit behind the dash.

Find a rust free truck and give it a proper rust proofing top to bottom, front to back, inside and out, you can thank me later when you start to wrench on it.

I've owned a couple TTB 1/2 ton Fords I even DD one 60+ miles per day for 4 years and as long as the front suspension is WELL MAINTAINED and aligned well they're really not that bad on tires especially if you rotate and balance them once in a while, and that was running 33" MT style tires.

Everybody I know that doesn't absolutely use the shit out of their trucks for work and play have gotten away from the modern diesel engines because they are so expensive to maintain, everything seemed to be 3 or 4 times the cost of a similar gas engine repair and holy shit was fuel system stuff ridiculously expensive.

My recent personal experience a couple years ago when my older son turned 16 he'd scraped together $2200 and ended up buying a virtually rust free 1 owner 94 Silverado ext cab C2500 (6 lug 3/4 ton) with 145,000 miles for $1500.
The truck was had been sitting for about 4 years, the white factory paint was peeling off the primer, the rear window had a small leak so the inside smelled like death, but it was solid top to bottom and drove well. Being an older gasser it's cheap and easy to work on and he's learned a shit ton as he slowly works on building to his preferences.

My favorite part about his truck is that his buddies named it Betty White because the truck is white, it's 90 something, and it could die at any moment lmao

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's called redneck triple A.

You get a text beforehand "Hey fucker, keep your phone on, I'm heading to blah blah blah"

:laughing:
Bask in the early 90's during my late teens I had a late 70's f100 that was so UNDEPENDABLE when I first got it that I kept my mountain bike in the bed if I was staying local, and had my old 250 enduro strapped in the bed if I was leaving town.
Took me 6+ months of near constant wrenching, and cursing to unfuck that truck and make it dependable again.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I never figured out the multi quote.

Auto and 4x4.

I’m not going to be one of those people that asks for advice and then defends against it.

Can this trucks front end be worse than mine?
I had two 95-97 PSDs... the auto trans, injectors, and HPOP will all be near the end. The best fix for the front end is a D60 swap.

The better OBS trucks to start with are the F350 (solid axle) with a 5speed. If its gas, either live with it, or Fummins. Don't get me wrong, I like these trucks... just have little patience for dumb suspensions, complicated diesels, and automatics.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Any reason for the diesel? Look for a gas powered version off of the coast. You are less likely to be hit with the retarded price people want for a diesel.
This, if I didn't tow double's on a gooseneck I'd have a gas. And seems like it's nearly 1k every time the hood is open, repair bills see to add up.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
This, if I didn't tow double's on a gooseneck I'd have a gas. And seems like it's nearly 1k every time the hood is open, repair bills see to add up.
Agreed. Nothing on a diesel is less than 1k to fix. Basic oil changes are 2-3x as expensive as a gas motor, auto trans have more issues with the torque and wear out faster.

Plus if you pop an engine a running spare is pricy, vs a gas motor that can be found easier and cheaper from a junkyard.

I've had a powerstroke for over a decade now. It's been a great truck but the next one will be gas. I've been lucky with major repairs but it's still a grand or more about once a year. Plus everytime I have a shop do any work I end up redoing it a couple weeks or months later. Not sure why no one can seem to get things done right.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
hm... haven't really had any problems with my 7.3 Have almost 300k on it. I have a manual trans though, so that eliminates all the automatic trans problems.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
is it rusty all over? or just from bad window leaks/installs? I am obviously biased as I have a 97 7.3 that I spend a lot of money on, but I started with a very clean truck. Anything that needs a "cab swap" is not worth much in my opinion. pics?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts