Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is long, but i'd really appreciate some input here. i'm trying to figure out what to do.

current setup is a YJ w/ sagging rancho 2.5" springs sua, 2" body lift, 1" tc drop, 30/35, open/open, 35" xterrains, extended brake lines, besttop tj flares with mounting area trimmed back and metal trimmed to match (at least 3-4" of metal cut out in the rear area where the tire will go when the spring is compressed, but at the very peak of the wheel well barely any metal was trimmed out..just the way the curve went. maybe a half inch) here's a pic of my current clearance since i installed the 35's

i've got an AA sye from a TJ that i was told would work with my 231. i've got an 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.10's. i've got a set of 4.10's for the 30. also have histeer arms for the d30 but i think i'm going to end up selling them and use a drop pitman arm for the time being

original plan was to install the 4.10's in the 30, get 4.5" XD springs, kill the tc drop, install the sye and get the cv driveshaft. maybe save up a little extra for a locker for the rear. good plan

now things are changing. i'm getting in with the local 4x4 club and have a guy willing to help me install everything (gears, welding, stuff i haven't done yet). he's assertive in that i need 4.88's with my 4.0 and 5sp to do alright on the rocks. there's a couple big runs coming up middle of january that i REALLY want to make. i don't think i can afford to order up a cv driveshaft, springs, and new gears for front and rear by the runs. i don't want to go with my d35 and the 35" xterrains either. what should i do?

--run the 4.10's and aim for installing the 8.8, getting the lift and cv driveshaft, and wait on getting 4.88's until i get a front d44 and regear both axles then? at that point i would also get histeer arms for the 44

--stick with the lift i've got (maybe install an aal for temp usage/clearance for the 35's), ditch the tc drop (came with the jeep already installed) to gain some clearance in the middle that i would be missing out on without the 4.5" lift, sell the 4.10's out of the 8.8 and the d30 and get 4.88's for the 30 and 8.8 and maybe an aussie locker for the front. (gf's folks have a house in idyllwild where it snows so i don't want to have a fulltime locker in the rear).----THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS....setting the pinion angle when i install the 8.8. I COULD just knock off and reweld the mounts whenever i finally install the new springs and sye. how close do you think the pinion angle would be if i set it with my 1.5-2"ish springs and no tc drop, and then leave the angle the same when i install the 4.5" springs and sye? the image below should help illustrate what i'm trying to figure out. if i go this route, i could extend my bumpstops so i'm not cutting up my 35's where i trimmed the rear fenders.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated. i wish i could afford to just do it all before the runs, but i can't, and i'd really like to make the trips. there's a chance i could make the money to do it all but i really need to pay some debt off. i can afford to go one way or the other though.

cliff notes:think i would be alright the the 4.88's in the d30(aussie locked)/8.8 combo with 35's and about 3.5" total lift with extended bumpstops, or should i run 4.10's with a new 4.5" RE XD lift and sye/cv.

·
Registered
565 Posts
socalchef said:
he's assertive in that i need 4.88's with my 4.0 and 5sp to do alright on the rocks.
The 35's should be fine with the 4.10's, but better with the 4.88's

it all depends on how it feels to you

there's a couple big runs coming up middle of january that i REALLY want to make. i don't think i can afford to order up a cv driveshaft, springs, and new gears for front and rear by the runs. i don't want to go with my d35 and the 35" xterrains either. what should i do?
Best thing to do is run what you have got, then make changes from there as necessary.

--run the 4.10's and aim for installing the 8.8, getting the lift and cv driveshaft, and wait on getting 4.88's until i get a front d44 and regear both axles then? at that point i would also get histeer arms for the 44
Wait till you get your axles set up now, and see how they do, then if you feel you need a 44 front, get one. There is no sense in buying lots of stuff you THINK you might need.

--stick with the lift i've got (maybe install an aal for temp usage/clearance for the 35's), ditch the tc drop (came with the jeep already installed) to gain some clearance in the middle that i would be missing out on without the 4.5" lift, sell the 4.10's out of the 8.8 and the d30 and get 4.88's for the 30 and 8.8 and maybe an aussie locker for the front. (gf's folks have a house in idyllwild where it snows so i don't want to have a fulltime locker in the rear).----THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS....setting the pinion angle when i install the 8.8. I COULD just knock off and reweld the mounts whenever i finally install the new springs and sye. how close do you think the pinion angle would be if i set it with my 1.5-2"ish springs and no tc drop, and then leave the angle the same when i install the 4.5" springs and sye? the image below should help illustrate what i'm trying to figure out. if i go this route, i could extend my bumpstops so i'm not cutting up my 35's where i trimmed the rear fenders.
when you install the sye, and go to the higher lift, your pinion angle should vary too much.

If i were you i would install all the parts i have, the sye, the highsteer arms, gears and see how you are from there. If you need more lift (everyone wants to go higher) buy the new springs.

basically, dont get ahead of yourself. let your wheeling experiences decide what the rig needs and not what you FEEL you need.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd like the d44 in the front for the larger brakes. i know some don't like the 30 but i know of a few people with the same setup and same size or larger tires that are having no troubles. i like spares...so it's not like i'd be stranded really if the 30 DID break, i'd just like larger brakes. the discs on the 8.8 should help some though.

i don't want to lift too high, only enough to clear the 35's. i have access to a forklift but unfortunately that only tells me if i rub, not how much more clearance i need. i want new springs MAINLY because these are sagging, leaning to one side and once i've got camping gear in the jeep the right spring is near flat or becoming inverted at the slightest hint of compression.

your comment on letting my experiences decide what i need and not what i THINK i need is true. i don't want to experiment and waste too much money though. i'm sort of leaning towards running the springs i've got now with the stock d/s (so i don't have to lengthen the cv shaft whenever i get new springs, whether they be new 2.5", bds 3.5", or XD 4.5", i can just order it and be done with it), no tc drop, and installing the 4.10's with a selectable rear locker. then i've got better gearing then what i've got now, 4.88's or not, i've got a locker and i can still drive in the snow (will be there a lot now that i've got access to a house up there), and i can save up for the rest of the lift components and all that, and still hopefully afford that gps unit to give myself for christmas.

far as the histeer arms, i think they're going to stick the tie rod mounting locations too far forward of the pitman arm. i'd rather do a crossover job with the stock knuckles i think....sell the d30 histeer arms and get a trick steering box brace from a guy in the club i'm getting involved with. (very trick, has a patent pending on it, much better then a standard brace)

i wish there was a way to figure out how much lift i really and only need. i wouldn't mind getting away with just a good 2.5 or 3.5" lift.

so yeah...d30, 8.8, 4.10's, selectable rear locker, extended bump stops, and a gas tank skid plate..that should be cool for now. i can work on building a cage and stuff before i add more lift.

please offer up anymore opinions or critiques on this post, your knowledge is extremely helpful and simply reading posts in the tech forums doesn't always provide all the answers.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hah! i could also sell the 8.8 i've got and use that money to buy disc brakes and gears for a 44 that i've got a housing and shafts to. way too many choices for a newbie like myself.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt...i don't see this post anywhere on the forum, but when i search it shows up. anyways, hoping to get another post or two of some suggestions. i know nobody can really tell you how to build your rig but i'd take some advice and knowledge from those who have been there and done that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts