Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some cabinets in my garage. Not cheap junk. They don't need to hold a million pounds of drill bits or whatever in every drawer, so kitchen cabinets will be fine. Just lower cabinets, not uppers. Two walls 8' each-ish with a fucked up 110 degree corner. Probably butcher block top (unless I find something better). Occasionally general wrenching, not every day commercial use.

Cabinets to go quoted me a decent setup with mixed drawers and cabinets for $2K. But the only color I wanted they apparently crashed the boat on its way from China and they're all fucked up and I have to wait 4-6 months for more.

https://imgur.com/pt6L8Ar
https://imgur.com/oDk6wsS

What else should I look at?

·
Registered
189 Posts
sounds like a good one day/ weekend project. spend the money on toys or tools. i would build boxes with one drawer on the top and open boxes. shit just hides behind doors and gets forgotten.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Search CL, Facebook, or Let Go for someone remodeling a kitchen. Change what is needed to suit your needs, and paint them the color you want. :homer:

·
Registered
295 Posts

Old kitchen cabinets.... the contact paper on the doors cost extra!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Habitat ReStores can be a great place to get used cabinets for cheap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check Sams club and Cosco. I have some from Sams club and they are actually pretty decent with lots of drawers and doors. I have a lot of gladiator cabinets too which are better but the Sams stuff are about half the cost.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
Why in the hell would you pay $2K for cabinets? You could do the remodel route for free ish, or build some covered shelves for a heck of a lot less.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have plenty of room for tools already. I don't need more toolboxes. I need something to store things that won't fit in the toolbox. I'm sick of keeping things in plastic storage totes stacked 5-6 high along the walls of the garage.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,171 Posts
Tool boxes are good for small parts.

Everyone needs good bolt bins.

Nice small movable tables that can go against a wall are also good. Especially if they can have storage built into them. Being mobile makes a huge difference in organizational functions and usability of a smaller work area.

Metal cabinets with big doors are great for fluids, greases, paint and other consumables. They're way too expensive new. But if you hunt, they're dirt cheap, second hand.

Pallet racking with stackable totes for storage is probably the best solution to most spaces.

I agree, kitchen cabinets suck in a shop. Everything ends up disorganized in them and they get oil stains which ends up just looking trashy.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Watch CL or market place for office cubicle furniture. I got a whole row of metal cabinets with flip up doors for free. They are very sturdy, just need a little backer to screw them to the wall since they weren't meant for mounting that way. I used fender washers.

Edit, they looked like these.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Watch CL or market place for office cubicle furniture. I got a whole row of metal cabinets with flip up doors for free. They are very sturdy, just need a little backer to screw them to the wall since they weren't meant for mounting that way. I used fender washers.

Edit, they looked like these.

Ahhhhh Fawk you..... that’s a gdamn kitchen... or office!!!!!
Is that a spot for a micro (top left)????
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
Ahhhhh Fawk you..... that’s a gdamn kitchen... or office!!!!!
Is that a spot for a micro (top left)????
:flipoff2:

When you pick up the crack pipe, put down the internet, mmkay?

Read the post again. :shaking:

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I have plenty of room for tools already. I don't need more toolboxes. I need something to store things that won't fit in the toolbox. I'm sick of keeping things in plastic storage totes stacked 5-6 high along the walls of the garage.
Make a bench with these instead of the tool boxes...

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in-mobile-storage-cabinet-with-wood-top-64012.html

64012_W3.jpg

I dunno if you could take the shelves out of the bottom part and just make bigger cabinets out of it...

EDIT: After watching a video it looks like the shelves can be moved up and down. Dunno how hard it would be to completely remove them, but looks like it could be done if you really wanted an open cabinet.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Or a bunch of file cabinets the same size would work for a lot of things too. If you can find 2 or 3 drawer units you could put them under a bench.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Side of the road is where I usually find them, I got enough together to make a 8' set out in the shop under the pallet racking.

Aaron Z

1 - 20 of 30 Posts