Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Things I'm finding out as I organize my shop:

- particle board stuff is shit; plywood and lumber please.
- open-shelving > cabinets. Then I'm not hiding things from myself.
- std counter height (36") is too hard on my back. 40-42" is about right
- open space under benches is hugely valuable to roll short & heavy things out of the way

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
counter height is key.

I'm 6'2", and 32" counter is too low. 34" isn't bad. It kind of depends on what I'm using the bench for. Find out what works well for you, and build your countertops that height.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Times whatever on the old remodel cabinets. I love them, but there's no way I'd spend $2k+ on them. For that kind of money I'm doing steel shelves/cheap toolbox hybrid.

These were free remodel tear outs. Countertop (one day) will be 1/8" steel plate, with a front lip press braked on, surfaced with steel wool and wd40.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Going through this process myself...

For temp, I'm using that HF cabinet bench. Works pretty well and nice that I can move it, but the cabinets are shallow. I've got a small tote of plumbing supplies in there that only fits one way. On the other hand its not a huge pain to reach in the back to get a can of spray paint that is in the back. The drawer has been surpisingly good. Mine is weighted down with a lot of hardware and it is handling the weight well.

A few weeks ago I found some pallet shelving on CL that I bought for my pole barn. The guy bought it at an auction and didnt' know what it was so gave me a bunch of "extra" pieces that didnt' fit the 4x8 shelves that he set up incorrectly. So now my plan for the garage is going to be a wall of 3' x 8' pallet shelving. Its not hard to build a cabinet drawer to hide what is on the shelves, and i can arrange the rolling bench under one side of it for a larger work area. I just need to a few more horizontal bars for the number of shelves I want.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
x3

i like this, i'm not a big fan of the old kitchen cabinets i have now. gonna have to slowly move to this route.
Why is that?

I'm putting cabinets out of a hospital up in my garage. A set over an 8ft workbench and some in other corners and areas otherwise not used.

They'll be used to store stuff that can't easily fit in a toolbox or doesn't really need to be in one. Like paint (rattle can and gallons), car washing supplies, etc.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Tool boxes are good for small parts.

Everyone needs good bolt bins.

Nice small movable tables that can go against a wall are also good. Especially if they can have storage built into them. Being mobile makes a huge difference in organizational functions and usability of a smaller work area.

Metal cabinets with big doors are great for fluids, greases, paint and other consumables. They're way too expensive new. But if you hunt, they're dirt cheap, second hand.

Pallet racking with stackable totes for storage is probably the best solution to most spaces.

I agree, kitchen cabinets suck in a shop. Everything ends up disorganized in them and they get oil stains which ends up just looking trashy.
Good advice here. The only one I swap is:

Metal cabinets with big doors are great for fluids, greases, paint and other consumables. They're way too expensive new. But if you hunt, they're dirt cheap, second hand.

As I use old fridges for anything flammable. Typically you can find them free, and they insulated and sealed to keep sparks and shit away. I do have the metal cabinet for small stuff I want to remain clean (gauges, filters, etc that are out mid-build).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Should have kept reading to do a multi-quote :homer:

Things I'm finding out as I organize my shop:

- particle board stuff is shit; plywood and lumber please.
- open-shelving > cabinets. Then I'm not hiding things from myself.
- std counter height (36") is too hard on my back. 40-42" is about right
- open space under benches is hugely valuable to roll short & heavy things out of the way
All of this, especially the counter height. At 6'2", standard counters == back pain in a hurry.

Depth of shelving is also a consideration as a lot of shit (depending on how you organize) will get lost towards the back of any cabinet, especially with doors on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why not something like these? You can get them from just about any big box retailer. I have something similar in my workshop.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Good advice here. The only one I swap is:

As I use old fridges for anything flammable. Typically you can find them free, and they insulated and sealed to keep sparks and shit away. I do have the metal cabinet for small stuff I want to remain clean (gauges, filters, etc that are out mid-build).

I turned an old fuel transfer tank into a flammables cabinet...

0905192250.jpg

0905192249.jpg

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
Should have kept reading to do a multi-quote :homer:

All of this, especially the counter height. At 6'2", standard counters == back pain in a hurry.

Depth of shelving is also a consideration as a lot of shit (depending on how you organize) will get lost towards the back of any cabinet, especially with doors on it.
For closed storage, I like narrowed - 18" is my max comfortable depth.

Open racks, it depends on the situation, but 24" is usually my depth there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts