Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well a group of use went down to Edgemont, SD on Saturday to try out the trails down there. Four rigs were present, TC buggy, 2 YJ's and a Sami.

The area down there is flat out cool, similar to the Black Hills but has a slightly different feel with the red rock and sandstone.

After getting down there and unloading the trailers we decided to run the Figure 8 trail. Every one was doing fine until Sun started to set and the area cool off a few degrees, causing issues with the Krawlers wanting to grip anything. We ended up getting about halfway through the trail before deciding to head back to the trailers around 6pm. All was seeming to go well until we came around the corner to the bottom of the steep hill on the road out.

One of the YJ's sat 3/4 of the way up with something leaning against the front side of his Jeep, apparently the stud has broken sometime ago and the remaining 2 decided they had enough and the tire came off. :eek::eek:

So after a quick discussion we broke out the chainsaw and selected a properly sized log to support the hub and rotor and to skid the non-wheeled end along the ground. Then hook the YJ to other Jeep and ami we pulled it up the hill to the trailer.

The going was slow and we had to readjust the log several time to account for wear and re tightening of the winch rope. 4 hours after be started to leave the trail the wounded Jeep was back on the trailer and we headed out.

Unfortunately my camera batteries died mid-afternoon so I didn't get any pictures of the recovery effort or some of the tricky lines through a few of the last obstacles. The same obstacle that while Jason was driving declared, "don't try the line over there, last time I tired it I almost flopped" (or something to that effect) and seconds later the green wheeler was on it's side in the hole. :D

All Pics are here

http://picasaweb.google.com/ROKTGR/20100130Edgemont#

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like it was a good time.

Is that area considered part of the trail system that the 4x4 clubs and the forest service have been mapping?

·
Registered
534 Posts
waited till i was out of town? :flipoff2:

jeff's jeep looks good with the top off

nice pics weasel!

yes that is the figure 8 trail near edgemont, should be on the map when it comes out

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Do the rigs have to be street legal and registered to run on the trails? I would like to check some of them out. Any more info on them? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the rigs have to be street legal and registered to run on the trails? I would like to check some of them out. Any more info on them? Thanks!!
At this time, yes. Until a sticker program is created. I'm not sure what the requirements will be once the map comes out.

Looks like it was a good time.

Is that area considered part of the trail system that the 4x4 clubs and the forest service have been mapping?
Yes, there are several of these trails that should be on the map along with some others in the future. The initial maps should be out end of this month.

Nice pics, that place looks killer. Is there a build thread on that Samurai?
Not that I know of. What kind of info are you looking for, Waggy 44's with chromos and longfield joints, 4 link front and read, tractor hydro steering, ~6:1 t-case, 35 boggers, f/r atv winches, air shocks part store style.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not that I know of. What kind of info are you looking for, Waggy 44's with chromos and longfield joints, 4 link front and read, tractor hydro steering, ~6:1 t-case, 35 boggers, f/r atv winches, air shocks part store style.
Thanks, I would like to know more about the air shocks. Are they compressed air shocks? Like the type you would put on the back of your truck to haul heavier loads?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep they have the shock with a air bag on them.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Pentax *istDL, I just point and shoot. Some Photoshop to get the shadows highlights right.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Must be the post-processing, they look really sharp! Good to see DP out on the trail with Jason and Nate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts