Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to organize another travel management team/district ranger trip to the Iron Mountain/Pebble Canyon/Capps Crossing area, I know of many exquisite views and geographical surprises in these areas and can show the need for dispersed camping and open OHV routes, I believe the hidden beauties and uselfulness of these areas would emphasize the need of open roads and trails as there are many areas of the forest where "rock crawling" is not nessicarily how the forest is used,but yet is being targeted for closures.

If the Organizers of the last outing would help with contacts within the Forest Service, And rig volunteers, The time exstension granted by the Forest service would be a excellent opportunity to show the Forest Service what the entire OHV community is about.

If this trip materializes, I would like to extend a special invitation to the forest supervisor to join us, and see and learn about his forest.

Thank You
Terry Sligar

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If these are all mild routes, I will volunteer to drive with my crew cab Super Duty. I would like ot see these areas myself!

Ryan

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am in also....Lets figure out a date. Have been to Capps many times.
Great idea.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say the 4-7 of sept or if that is too soon to set up, then either the 12th or 14th of sept, trying of course to work around everyones schedule and the possible availability of the Forest Service

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If these are all mild routes, I will volunteer to drive with my crew cab Super Duty. I would like ot see these areas myself!

Ryan
one of the areas I would really like to show the FS would entail some brush scrapin, a rig that big might be stretching it, Im sure with this type of response already, we could get you a ride
to the area tho

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
I would say the 4-7 of sept or if that is too soon to set up, then either the 12th or 14th of sept, trying of course to work around everyones schedule and the possible availability of the Forest Service
End of sept. beginning of oct. would be better from me......

I really want to go over the Siverfork/Leek springs area with them. I know that area very well, Rick could drive down every route in that area blind-folded and in reverse becuase he knows it so well....

The wife is already gonna kill me for taking so much time for this route dez BS

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
no way you are going there without me!

these would all be mild routes for sure, hardest one in the area is Buckskin Joe, and thats only bad for a few hundred yards

we should have a list of targeted areas to go. I will throw out two to start

Silverfork south of Fitch Ranz Bridge
Leek spring lookout.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I also agree that a bit later would be better, let the first rain hit the ground and git rid of the dust. plus with the season winding down after the end of September FS people may have more time.

people to try to get along?
Jason Nedlo
Amt Reid
Doug Barber- Amador district
Duane Nelson-Placerville district
Steve Morgan- P.L.I.N.K, he has done tons of cleanup work in this area

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree about the dust issue, if we could a rain around the end of sept, any later than that tho, i still want to stay within the comment period, so any conceptions might be able to make a difference, wldwun you seem to have some contacts with the FS, could you give it a shot???

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
wldwun you seem to have some contacts with the FS, could you give it a shot???
oh now I am the ambassador to the forest service.....:shaking:
when we have a plan down, rough time frame, I will contact them.

remember we have until october 22nd, may be better to wait until Oct for this, that way it is frsh in there mind.

keep in mind though that trips like this will have little to no effect on the outcome of the DEIS. the purpose is to get to know the Forest service personal, and for them to get to know the people that care most about the forest that they are in charge of.

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
oh now I am the ambassador to the forest service.....:shaking:
You did not read that thread and get the e-mail that went out? :confused:

Yes, we DID elect you Ambassador to the Forest Service and Friends of the El Dorado President.

Congrats Rick!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
what do you think about columbus day, oct 8th, or would it be better on a regular workday??? i would worry about campers/illegal activities on a holiday

so say Oct. 11th

oh ya, congradulations rick

this would be in conflict with another meeting,, how about oct 4th

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
what do you think about columbus day, oct 8th, or would it be better on a regular workday??? i would worry about campers/illegal activities on a holiday

so say Oct. 11th

oh ya, congradulations rick
Cool a new hats to wear!:grinpimp::grinpimp:

by that time in October, mostly you will only find hunters camping in that area. lets talk to a few people and see what they think.
Forest Service people may be more likely to go on a weekday, but if we do a weekend I think it should be on a Sunday

·
Land Use Zeus
2,881 Posts
Adopt-a-Ranger

Adopt-a-Ranger is what you're about to do with your tours and such -- GREAT idea. This is an old concept from Tom Crimmins, USFS retired, who now does stuff for NOHVCC and BlueRibbon. He has suggested this idea for a long time for clubs and groups that want to keep their areas supported and open. So you are on a good track. Get them out and give the team a ride.

Rick, if you're going to lead hook this and be the contact (who adopts the ranger) :smokin:, I would suggest concentrating on the District Ranger (and key staff like the wildlife biologist, watershed person, and OHV rep). Then invite the Forest Supe but realize you proably won't get him. That's Ok tho, because these types rely on staff input anyway.

The ride-along concept has been very very successful where ever it's done. We've used it dozens of times on the Rubicon -- with the press, with politicians, with VIP's, with nay-sayers, etc. It works.

Have good handouts such as maps; CB or HAMM communication; a good drivers/safety meeting; and a stated purpose. The feds love this sort of organization. I have more info on this here if you want to read a bit: http://www.delalbright.com/Articles/ridealong.htm

Del

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool a new hats to wear!:grinpimp::grinpimp:

by that time in October, mostly you will only find hunters camping in that area. lets talk to a few people and see what they think.
Forest Service people may be more likely to go on a weekday, but if we do a weekend I think it should be on a Sunday
ya i edited to oct, 4th because of a conflict of an nohvcc meeting,, these are dates Im just throwing out to see what everyones capable of(not a set in stone thing) but we need to set something early in the process in order to set it up

1 - 20 of 63 Posts