Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Billavista's article on driveshafts and U-joints (excellent info), which prompts me to ask this question.
I use my jeep as a driver, but it is mostly for trails, so I am thinking of loading my spare driveshaft with the normal blue seal greasable 5-153x /1310 u-joints (which I have now), and putting the SPL22-1x joints in my trail shaft. I broke a regular1310 last trip out, and probably should go with 1350's, but I prefer to keep the 1310's installed for now.
So, when I go wheeling, I use the stronger joint shaft, then when I get home, I use the greasable style joint shaft for tooling around town.
I always trailer to the trails, so the jeep gets minimal street time to and from the trailer.
I currently have a CV style rear shaft, and already have the spare shaft..So, does this make any sence?
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
It sounds logical...

My plan is to put the new CTM 1310's in the CV and use the NEAPCO Performance Dynamics joint in the single joint end. Though the NEAPCO's have held up awesome, we still want some sort of weak link (at least weaker than the CTM's) in there as I'd rather change a sigle slip yoke joint than a torn up CV...or worse, gears and a locker :eek:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
in my opinion neapco's joints (performance) are not a real good joint - i'd use the spicer oem joints 5-785x- and just carry a spare slip yoke and joint in the tool box- :D - 1310 is not my first choice for much on anything though- Jess

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
onetoncv said:
i'd use the spicer oem joints 5-785x- Jess
Jess, how does the 5-785x compare to the new SPL22-1x ? I know both don't allow for external lubrication, but does the newer one (SPL) allow for a longer lubrication interval. Due to their new seal process? I guess they have the same strength?
Thanks for the info...
Ricky...seeya...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts