Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On wheeling trips, do you bring along spare knuckles housing? If I have space for only one, which side should I carry?

/td

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Well the easy answer is "the one that you're going to break"! :flipoff2:

But realistically, I don't know anyone who carries a spare knuckle. Not that they can't break, but there are lots of other parts that will go first.

Doc

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
td said:
On wheeling trips, do you bring along spare knuckles housing? If I have space for only one, which side should I carry?

/td
Someone broke a drum brake knuckle at CM04 on Golden Spike, and I didn't have my spares with me.

Personally, when I am planning on running hard trails, I will bring all the spares I have (axles, t-case, knuckles, tie rod), but I will leave them either at the trail head, or where I am camping. I like to carry as little in my truck as possible, apart from a hi-lift, tow strap, a spare birf, a few tools, food and water.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
If you shear your steering knuckle studs, you will be wishing you had a spare knuckle.......

If you typically wheel with the same budy all the time I say carry one side and have your buddy carry the other side. Then if you do break studs and your by yourself and its the wrong side at least you have a set of studs with you assuming you can get the other studs out.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
yup no sense in having them on the trail. Keep it on the trailer, or a camp.

Never know what will break, but why carry a spare truck with you on the trail. :D

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
CaverInaCruiser said:
....Personally, when I am planning on running hard trails, I will bring all the spares I have (axles, t-case, knuckles, tie rod), but I will leave them either at the trail head, or where I am camping. I like to carry as little in my truck as possible, apart from a hi-lift, tow strap, a spare birf, a few tools, food and water.

Hard to do that when you don't have a tow rig and you drive to and from the trail like I do (including trips to the say the 'Con or Moab whichfor me is many states way!)..... so for me, I have to prioritize what I take so you can maximize possible trail fixes and minimize the total weight....

Hence the major reason why I have to carry a 100lb full size spare ..... Oh and for the people that they don't use spare tires, in the last 3 years of wheeling I've used my spare tire 5 or 6 times! and thats also the same amount I've used a hi-lift oddly enough....

I'm not bagg'n on tow rigs and trailers, its just I can't justify the cost ..... If I did have a tow rig I could probably lose 300lb off the 4Runner! Probably even more than that since I could also lose the body and not worry about beign street legal. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I carry the following now:

1) several complete set of knuckle studs, cone washers, and nuts.
2) several complete set of lockout studs, cone washers, and nuts.
3) complete set of trunion/kingpin bearings. Seems the damn studs breaking can destroy the bearings.
4) axle and wheel seals.
5) Air drill
6) 2 different sizes of extractors, and several drill bits (in case one gets dull)

I've already used the air drill several times on the 'con to repair/remove broken hub and knuckle studs.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
We've talked about this before, but I think unless you are running hydro steering, the studs are strong enough, (barely). I re-torque mine after every run, and when I break one, I replace 'em all. I've never broke on on the trail, (not that it isn't going to happen to me the next fawking time I go out :eek: ).

Doc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts