Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure yall can relate, I've got a few frame off builds that require hundreds of dollars every time I look at them. Ungodly amount of parts in just the engine, axles, etc and still not close to being done.

We have your typical 1st gen 4runner that hasnt moved under it's own power in 15+ years. Everything from the engine bay is in the seats, along with evidence of every woodland creature making it a home. Been in San Antonio its whole life to surprisingly clean body and frame

Truck I picked up awhile back. Frame is bent from a roller over, but the 22re still runs fine and actually made it up to 55mph before I chickened out. Slightly worried about the front axle being tweaked too

Then a small snapshot of parts. F&R cookie cutter bumpers, 2.28x4.7 crawl box, factory 4.88 thirds from a 95 4runner, other junk.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To make sure i actually finish this one in a timely mater, i'm keeping it somewhat simple.

Keeping the IFS:
use the 4.88 third
find a cheap lunchbox for the front
use/modify a RHD steering box in place of idler arm
no lift, spacers, cranking bars or anything else

Rear:
4.88 third
lunchbox i have sitting on the shelf

Engine:
Reseal and tuneup only

Trans/tcase:
little undecided, the crawlbox has a clockable Inchworm adapter for an auto. To my understanding an auto and R150 adapter are the same pattern. I have an R150 and would just need to source a turbo bell. Or i can just run the W56 too.

Im thinking a 1" body lift, along with a 1" motor mount lift to tuck the drive train up a little higher. In conjunction with the inchworn adapter it should get close to a flat belly. The T-cases already have a FROR style mount. modify the bumpers to match the 1" BL and mount a M8000 on the front.

I know the fuel tank is full of rust from sitting, so been reading all the old threads about Ford fuel tanks and other options to move the tank to the back.

33x10.50s KM2s is the tire of choice, because i have them and the drive train should hold up according. With ~200:1 i shouldn't need to skinny pedal and just let it do its thing. The top and doors will also be permanently removed to save weight and its a fair weather vehicle only. cobble together whats left of the 85 interior in the bed and the 4runner to make it decent.

yeah, super exciting uber pirate build :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Ifs should hold up plenty with 33x10s. I had the same mentality when my 4runner was ifs, never even adjusted the torsion bars. I made 35s fit. I did leave it open though, which eventually killed a spider gear. A lunchbox would have prevented that, but might have killed a few CV's, easy enough to change though.

Good call on moving the gas tank, it's horribly low on the 4runners and hits everything when you're a low rider.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
:laughing: i get the urge to do about just that every few months, in to see what you manage to whack together :smokin:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also debating putting the truck tailgate on the 4runner since the top is getting tossed aside.

Ifs should hold up plenty with 33x10s. I had the same mentality when my 4runner was ifs, never even adjusted the torsion bars. I made 35s fit. I did leave it open though, which eventually killed a spider gear. A lunchbox would have prevented that, but might have killed a few CV's, easy enough to change though.

Good call on moving the gas tank, it's horribly low on the 4runners and hits everything when you're a low rider.
just need to come up with a slick filler neck.

what other problems did you run into IFS wise? the only thing i really read about was the idler arm. I have a '92 as a ranch truck, but with 235s and running around its a non-issue.

:laughing: i get the urge to do about just that every few months, in to see what you manage to whack together :smokin:
I've sas'd several IFS truck over the years and was never quite happy with how they turned out. I'm hoping staying stock, geared, and locked will keep me honest. I'll have less invested in this whole project than a front axle im putting together for another yota :laughing: :(

nice runner....... for sitting in the San Antonio area for so long i wonder how much of the floor is left.
San Antone, TX... floors are solid. Some small bubbles around the windshield and where the dumb chrome strips are on the wheel wells. no enough for me to care about.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
what other problems did you run into IFS wise? the only thing i really read about was the idler arm. I have a '92 as a ranch truck, but with 235s and running around its a non-issue.
Nothing, all I did was put a 5.29 3rd in. Never even bent the idler arm. Again, I think stock a arm and steering geometry is the key.

I didn't wheel it too hard, but I got a few years of a ton of different use.

·
Registered
602 Posts
In.

My brother had a 91 that he wheeled IFS for years on 35's locked front and rear. Broke a CV and I believe an idler arm (that happened while driving on the street).

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Wish I had done this on my previous 90. I opted for 235/85's on 16's and swapped in 4.88's and a rear locker and then sold it for too much money. :(

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
never thought id have this much interest in an otherwise lame build :laughing: Just want something i can drive around town like a stock truck... yet shoot the finger at jeeps, overlanders, etc on the trail when they're taking pics for the 'gram.

On to my Inchworm adapter. Looks like there's a different style for A340H and A340F. The A340F being the same as a R15x/V6 truck? What is the difference?

only part number i found was 240-0040, so from this kit:

https://blog.lowrangeoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/300-0040_Adapter_Kit_-_Automatic_Transmission_Adapter_-_84-95_4wd_Automatic_x_21_Spline_Gear_Driven_Tcase.pdf

I'd simply bolt stuff together, but all of my parts are currently scattered across different counties. Id like to use the R150 i have to utilize the clocking. But it would save me money on buying a turbo bell if i use a w56. Ive never ran a clocked doubler, but from what ive read the 10* saves you about 1.5 inches of clearance, which would really help on this low rider.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I'm wrapping my buggy up here soon. Next up is a mild wheeler very close to my original truck. 33's IFS, 4.88s and a crawl box and some armor. That truck went a lot of places and still drove home.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Well
The pbb of old rocked build threads.

Pirate is now the pbb chitchat board.
I would entertain damn near ANY level of build , just for the entertainment value.
The spinoff b.s. got old fast.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Similar to my current "wheeler". Lots of fun. Seems to he a big "back to basics" movement in wheeling these days, everyone building a 4runner on 31-35s with some bumpers for $3500 instead of buying a GxG for $35,000.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Similar to my current "wheeler". Lots of fun. Seems to he a big "back to basics" movement in wheeling these days, everyone building a 4runner on 31-35s with some bumpers for $3500 instead of buying a GxG for $35,000.
Makes sense. No need for a tow rig/trailer, capable and still a lot of fun. I don't have anywhere to wheel anyway so mild is really my only option. My days of traveling to wheel are pretty much done aside from a trip here and there to SMORR or Disney to see old friends every couple years. SxS's pretty much have ruined trail riding how I remember and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Makes sense. No need for a tow rig/trailer, capable and still a lot of fun. I don't have anywhere to wheel anyway so mild is really my only option. My days of traveling to wheel are pretty much done aside from a trip here and there to SMORR or Disney to see old friends every couple years. SxS's pretty much have ruined trail riding how I remember and enjoyed it.
We still have a big buggy scene up here, and more "extreme" trails, but I like being able to drive somewhere, go cool places, then drive home. And it seems like 95% of people who haven't been involved in more hard-core wheeling have no idea what you can do in a stockish truck, so they won't even try a washed out road. My wheeling these days is for fishing, hunting, or exploring. Not just for the sake of driving over stuff.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
We still have a big buggy scene up here, and more "extreme" trails, but I like being able to drive somewhere, go cool places, then drive home. And it seems like 95% of people who haven't been involved in more hard-core wheeling have no idea what you can do in a stockish truck, so they won't even try a washed out road. My wheeling these days is for fishing, hunting, or exploring. Not just for the sake of driving over stuff.
Exactly. I cruise gravel and minimum maintenance roads. Nephew also has a 4Runner now so we do some light exploring

1 - 20 of 37 Posts