Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you that do not carry spare tire ?
And take along plugs and compressor?
Wondering about doing this when I get the 1/2 top hard roof and
buying 4 Mag wheels and later extending body and frame 22".
Would like to hear what your thoughts are..

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I haven't carried a spare for years. plug repair kit and onboard air. I've used the plug repair kit a few times with great success. The biggest issue would be shredding a sidewall...

·
Need fishing therapy
574 Posts
No spare for years, plug kit and compressor... anybody want to buy a swing out tire carrier...?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
no spares here either but I do have a crap ton of plugs and all my buddies have some kinda air source so i'm good.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Any Compressor you can recommend that is worth purchasing ?
Do a search. There's tons of threads on this. Viar is a good name around here for plug n play. Many of us use our stock York or Sanden A/C compressors for home-built OBA.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
No spare but it's mostly because I haven't gotten around to building a tire carrier... So I have a spare, but I leave it at home. I do carry a plug kit, but I've never had to use it.

Jake

·
Registered
854 Posts
I carry plugs and a spare , all three trial flats i have had a plug or ten would not fix the hole / tear ! around town i get nails on the trail i get tears !:( but thats just me . since i run an old CJ and most of my friends are runing newer junk i cant rely on thier spares fitting my wheel pattern .........

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
depends on the type of wheeling, how far you're away from base camp and so on. Most of the times I run with a spare (which can be shared with buddies), despite the fact that I've got really good plugs and a York OBA system ... you'll always see that you shred a tire beyond repair (and I've done my fair share of repairing tires that were beyond repair) when you're not carrying the spare :laughing:

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I would suggest that if you DD it you carry a spare. On my last TJ I took the tire off the swing out and put it in the tub. Now my current TJ which is a trail only rig..I dont have a spare for it but I am also running a bias ply tire which is tougher than a radial but I still have plugs and on board air. If you just trail rig it leave the spare on your trailer or at the trailhead and still carry plugs and OBA.

I will eventually buy some type of spare even if its just a steel wheel and a worn out 40...but it'll stay on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
The only time I got a flat on the trail it was a sidewall puncture. I'll always have a spare.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I carry a spare, but it's a 265/75r16, not a 35. If I kill a tire it'll get me off of the trail, but I will plug my tire before I swap it out. I carry plugs and have an Extreme Outback compressor. So far so good.
Travis..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You for response to Spare Less

The reason for this is I am going to go with 1/2 hardtop and I just like the look of the spare tire off back.
But also my dog loves riding in jeep and I would not have room for him and tire
laying in back.
So when going off road I will have spare in back on floor but riding on road
will have air compressor ,plugs and flashlight with me at all times.
After having Mini with run flats and having a few flat tires and getting on ground to see what was in tire I pulled out screws and plugged it and
put air in and kept going.
So that opened my thoughts of doing it with jeep and wanted to see if others were doing the same and some of you are.
Thank You again Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts