Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another York OBA thread, but I promise I have specific questions that I've not found answers to after searching this forum and others.

First, I have a 92 YJ Islander 4.0 w/o factory AC and I'm looking to add a York 210 compressor setup for on board air. I've got some specific questions about the compressor heads, successes/failures in buying remanufactured units from parts stores, mounting hardware (plates), and one particular pre-made kit available online....

1) Compressor head.... There are three heads. Flange style, Tube o-ring, and Rotolock. I'm looking for opinions on which style is the easiest to make connections to and which offers the best hood clearance if the compressor is mounted vertically. Also, more on this below...

2) Has anyone ordered reman Yorks from local/national parts stores or from Rock Auto and received anything other than a nice, rebuilt 210? Most I see listed say "209-210", which has me worried (if I go this route).

3) As mentioned, I have a YJ 4.0 w/o factory AC, so what should the mounting plate look like if mounting vertically? Pictures would be helpful.

4) I found this kit by Collins Bro's, which includes some mounting plates, hardware, flange style fittings, a pulley, v-belt, etc. YJ/TJ York Onboard Air Kit – CBJeep. I called them today to ask some questions about this kit like if it's for vertical or slanted/horizontal mounting, why they chose to include flange fittings, etc., but they couldn't answer a single question. I'm asking YOU guys if this is the kit I need or not OR if anyone has experience with it?

Thanks and I'll patiently await your replies.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Do you have a welder?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Yes, but let's please stay on topic. I tried making this easy and specific.
I think he was on topic. If you have a drill, welder, and a tape measure you can make the brackets. A york can practically be mounted any way but upside down. They are also pretty bulletproof, so a reman unit should be fine, as would a junkyard pull out imo. As for fitting, any work, some a npt fitting which are easiest to find, mine were rotolok and still with a little ingenuity it wasn't hard to adapt.

my suggestion, find a cheap york, look at motor., find a hole, make plates. Also ryder fleet sales makes a serp pulley that bolts right to it, and eliminates the need for dual pulleys, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the cad files for the York plate.

I designed and fabricated a York mounting bracket to bolt on to my stock AC compressor mount. Google York OBA ExCabSwap for my write-up.

My buddy has an xj with a 4L.. so it might be in his best interest if I designed a mount for you guys.. so yeah, I'd say that I'm on topic.

As far as the York goes, the preference is intake side up.

As for the 'head' or top plate, it can't be reversed.. or shouldn't be.. different units have the intake on different sides.

I'd suggest researching a semi shop near you. You're going to ask about their air conditioning compressors and that you're looking for the sump compressors. I've really found a mechanic who knew what a York 210 compressor was out of the blue..

I've paid no more than $25 for my compressors..

The most reliable York I've found was the York 209 pictured above. I found it in a late 70's Ford pickup. Found it in a junkyard and when I unbolted it, it still had r12 pressure in it.

You want to find a York that hasn't been sitting out too long. Any moisture will get in to the cylinders and tear up the piston rings.. I've had 1 210 lock up on me.. the 209 doesn't displace as much but it has yet to fail me. I'm currently running a 210L. This is the large displacement model.

Hope this helps give you some more ideas. Lemme know, and I'll see if I can get you the file of you're interested..

If you're interested in the York plate, we can work that out too.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts