Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some sad news Saturday :(

I don't know if you know Jeremy W/Custom Differentials and Flat Nasty off road park in Salem Mo, but they both had a bad incident Saturday around noon time.

Jeremy owns an Avalanche all wheel steer rockwell rig w/49" Iroks under it. He was down Saturday with his rig. We know him and were down their also just by chance.

Flat Nasty has a hill climb called "Get It Billy" that Jeremy has been denied three or four times in the past. He was going to attempt it again this weekend. There are two hill climb side by side but the new one on the right is not really Billy get it.

We wanted to watch him but missed the time he was on it eating our lunch back at camp. We got done eating our lunch and went wheelin again. While on a hardcore #14 trial we stopped to remove a 5" log out of my buddies front leaf springs. While doing this we heard a weird ass noise up on the hill top and decided to investigate it. We got up there to discover a medvac he-lo setting on the ground with a bunch of rigs and emergency vehicles all around it.

Turns out Jeremy was on the hill climb to the right of Billy get it and had about ten people watching from below. Jeremy dislodged a rock about the size of a washing machine and everyone scattered. One guy got caught by the bolder and it crushed him :( He passed away from his injuries

I haven't found any info on it - I don't know his name and never met him.

RIP

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Wow, this is turning out to be a dangerous sport afterall! This hasn't been a good month or two for rock crawling enthusiasts!

J. J.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Wow, this is turning out to be a dangerous sport afterall! This hasn't been a good month or two for rock crawling enthusiasts!

J. J.
this hasent been a good year let alone the last few months.

RIP - Dozer, Willyswanter, Ryan and others I may have missed

JJ

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
that sucks...be careful when watching. I now I've had a few wakeup calls and I'm more aware of were I stand when spotting and watching.

·
Moderhater
23,463 Posts
i hope the family can get thru loosing a loved one. i also hope they they understand the hazards of this sport, and that they understand that it was unintentional, and blame cannot be put on anyone but the person killed. he should have been in a safe location while spectating. i feel sorry for his loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dumbass got a lesson in gravity. Personally, I'm surprised more people haven't been hit by flying ujoints.... I think because its such a slow sport, people feel they can be right next to the action without risk.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Mudmarine, go "F" yourself. How would you feel if that was your brother that was hurt? This is a dangerous sport and we all know that. Why else would we put cages on our rigs. I have had a close call before, but still love doing this sport. For anyone to think this happened because he was an idiot should rethink what kind of person they are. We have all stood around and watched someone do a crazy climb.

The family is in our thoughts and prayers. The people that have taken this incident and turned into a bashing and disrespected the family and victom should really think about themselves harder. They could be next.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Dumbass got a lesson in gravity. Personally, I'm surprised more people haven't been hit by flying ujoints.... I think because its such a slow sport, people feel they can be right next to the action without risk.

He was 75+ yards away. IMHO that's a safe distance.

You weren't there. How can you call him a dumbass?

His name was Adam. When he tried to move he tripped on some loose rock and the boulder landed on him. Could have happened to anyone.

It's difficult to see the boulders from the ground, they are partially covered by foliage. Furthermore it was hard to hear the rock coming down due to engine noise, and background noise from other people.

Please, when posting about a deceased fellow wheeler have a little more respect.

Link to the news story:
http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/pages/crime.html

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
He was 75+ yards away. IMHO that's a safe distance.

You weren't there. How can you call him a dumbass?

His name was Adam. When he tried to move he tripped on some loose rock and the boulder landed on him. Could have happened to anyone.

It's difficult to see the boulders from the ground, they are partially covered by foliage. Furthermore it was hard to hear the rock coming down due to engine noise, and background noise from other people.

Please, when posting about a deceased fellow wheeler have a little more respect.

Link to the news story:
http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/pages/crime.html

Some fawkin reason I can't post photos due to something FUBR'ed with my user name. Anyway, I have a couple of photos of the boulder and the hill climb in question. After looking at the seine, it was obvious that small saplings/trees blocked his escape route. I'm sure he was caught off guard and got caught up in the under growth.

This would've happened to anyone and for all these ASSHOLES making smart ass remarks can go fuck themselves.

RIP Adam - I didn't know you but I'm sure you'll be missed.:(

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Sorry to hear the news............

Being spotter I always wonder when something can happen and the answer is at any time. Best bet is be aware of your surroundings and plan escape route if the situation needs one.

Best wishes to his family and friends. RIP Friend.

KC

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Some fawkin reason I can't post photos due to something FUBR'ed with my user name. Anyway, I have a couple of photos of the boulder and the hill climb in question. After looking at the seine, it was obvious that small saplings/trees blocked his escape route. I'm sure he was caught off guard and got caught up in the under growth.

This would've happened to anyone and for all these ASSHOLES making smart ass remarks can go fuck themselves.

RIP Adam - I didn't know you but I'm sure you'll be missed.:(
This is the 'new' Get it Billy where the incident happened. These pics were taken Memorial weekend of 07. Not much has changed.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Sorry to hear this tragic news and my heart goes out to the family and friends. In the same thought, when I go, I'll be happy if it happens when I'm on the trail, out where I wanna be. No, that's not a tremendously consolling thought, but the reality is, I can think of a ton worse ways to go...at least he was out doing something real when it all ended for him. Rest in Peace

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
vaya con Dios, Adam

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
That is awful. It needs to serve as a reminder to all of us that normally the safest place when wheeling is in your rig (assuming its properly built). We all need to be very careful when outside of our rigs...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Life at times is just not fair. I wish adams family the best. Its goes to show you that even if you are having a bad day you better enjoy it because you never know where the trail leads you.:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with Adam's family and friends. You just never know what kind of things your going to run into while jeepin. It was just a freak accident, we have all had simular situations. Use your best judgement, stay away and be ready to run. I am sorry for all those who knew Adam and those who watched what happened. I pray that you will all be ok.

Jeremy I hope that you are doing ok also. Iknow this is a big burden on you right now, just remember it was just an accident.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts