Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying for DAYS to figure out what speed sensor is going to work on my 1993 4.0L engine going into my 1982 Wagoneer.

Someone posted that a "91-92 Dodge Ram" speed sensor is the same one that Hesco sells.

From my research, the one Hesco sells is a pass-through design, it screws into the speedo hookup on the transfer case, and then has a connector to plug into their harness. You then use your original speedo cable screwed into their sensor.

You can get this from your friendly :D Jeep/Dodge dealer for $120+ with Mopar # 56027015. Hesco's MPFI parts list states that they also give you #9400012 which is some kind of converter. My Jeep parts guy said that wasn't a valid Mopar/Chrysler number.

Someone that does 4.0 conversions told me that Nevada speedometer sells those sensors to Hesco. Nevada sells them for $95.95 but they are out of stock, and the lady I talked to there said they buy them from someone else. Unfortunately I forgot the name of where they get them, its something like Arthur Allen (AA) and the part # is AA1460-8. I called AA and the lady said she would call me back and tell me who would sell me one :flipoff2: but she hasnt called me back yet.

I tried 3 local car parts store chains, as well as Napa online and none of them have a speed sensor for a 91 Dodge Ram. I looked at the one for a '93 Dodge ram and it is a different design. Carquest had one for a '91 Dodge Ram but it did not have a cable pass-through

OK then I found on my '82 Wagoneer there actually is a cruise control sensor that connects 2 speedo cables together in the engine bay. It has a male+female 2 prong adapter. I went to the Dodge parts counter and the guy found a 1991 Jeep speed sensor that has a pass-through design BUT it is a 2-wire connector instead of 3-wire like my '93 harness has. The 1992 Jeep speed sensor has a 3 wire connector but it doesn't attach to the transfer case the same way, and there is no mechanical speedo cable hookup.

I looked at the wiring diagrams. 1991 Jeep 4.0 shows that the speed sensor uses a Blue wire to PCM pin #47 and a Brown/Red wire to PCM pin #4 that is common with the Sync sensor, coolant temp sensor, MAP, TPS, and air temp sensor.

the 1992-1993 Jeep 4.0 shows that the speed sensor uses those 2 ^^ wires up there as well as as a White/Black to PCM pin # 7 that is common with the CPS and sync sensor. What does this extra wire do? Why did they add it in 1992?

So, I would appreciate it if anyone has any info to contribute. I'd appreciate it if the people that said a 91-92 Dodge Ram sensor works to tell me where they got it, a part #, and how many wires.

The Hesco sensor is shown here:

I Assume it has 3 wires. I remember reading that Hesco's conversion kit is based on a 1994 Jeep 4.0 system. Hesco wants $80 for it. I would like to avoid ordering MORE stuff from them.

Otherwise I'm going to try to get my 2-wire cruise control sensor to work by hooking it up to my harness as the 1991 wiring diagram shows.

4.0 Wiring Diagrams

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
you can get the Hesco speed sensor from Jeepconnection.com fior $50 ish
if memory serves, the hesco sensor has 2 wires and the 4.0L harness has three wires. you abandon one of the wires, but I forget which. I'll see if I can dig up my notes.

·
Registered
32,452 Posts
I use a GM HAL 3 wire sending unit with my D300 autometer electic speedo combo. Dont have a clue if the jeeps HAL or not?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called jeepconnection.com and gave him the part # for that speed sensor. I am pretty sure he said it would be at least 80 bucks. It isn't listed on their website.

I'd like to know how they adapt the 2-wire sensor to the 3-wire harness. Damnit, its frustrating how Jeep changed the wiring harness colors between '91 and '93.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
wiring is as follows: Orange is the pos wire. This wire is abandoned when using the Hesco sensor, as the sensor itself generates the electrical pulse. White w/ orange is the sensor output to the computer. Black w/ lt. blue is the ground.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
cross ref the part numbers from NAPA or the dealer for the two years. I believe them to be the same. do yourself a favor and keep good notes on your wiring. mine weren't the best and I still regret not taking more time documenting my work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DE Jeeper said:
Also, you can have your local dealer cross refference the sensor that comes with the CJ Mopar MPI kit. I got it for around $50 and it pluged right into my '91 4.0l harness. HTH
My dealer tried to see if there was a compatible part # for it but he said there wasn't, and the local dealers would charge $120+. How did you get yours for 50? :eek:

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
prices have been climbing over the years.
I remeber when the sensor was $40 from Hesco direct.

you really have to love that the prices have DOUBLED with ZERO additional investment by Hesco. I REALLY hate those guys.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I really wish I had kept the number since this question comes up all of the time. I got the sensor trough the dealer that sponsors one of the Jeep clubs I belong to, but I bet you can find a dealer that will get you a better price then $120.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just a note that Hesco actually sells an adapter to the 2 wire hookup. It's around $15.00. Might be worth it if you find the actual sensor cheaper elsewhere!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
nevadayj said:
Just a note that Hesco actually sells an adapter to the 2 wire hookup. It's around $15.00. Might be worth it if you find the actual sensor cheaper elsewhere!
I'm not positive, since I don't have a sensor yet, but PepBoys sells a lot of replacement connectors and they might have the connector that you/I need. That's where I got the connector for my backuplight switch on the AX-15 for my swap.

Tony W

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this thread is 10+ years old but i actually just had to do this to my jeep and couldn't find this info anywhere easy.

mines a 94 XJ with a the early short shaft 80 dana300 with mechanic speedo.

Got the adapter with pigtail from advance auto for $30

BWD Vehicle Speed Sensor S8025: Get the best Speed Sensor at Advance Auto Parts

Sniped off the factory 3 wire sensor on the jeep thats white black and orange

Jeep ----- VSS
white ---> black
black ---> black white stripe
orange --- not used.

Done speedo works.

hope that helps somebody.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.