Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Got my speedglass installed. Turned out awesome!

Mo here.

a. your account over there has been suspended. Probably due to PBB folks sucking up all your bandwidth.

b. linking to articles at other sites is not allowed.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
If you looked on the site it says how much.. for a jeep $380 not bad considering I think It was around $200 for normal glass replacement in my rig during summer..

Wonder if insurance will cover it... :D

·
Banned
7,871 Posts
Hmmm.....Why didnt you glue it in yourself instead of the rivets?...
I couldn't find any info on either web site about what it's made of.....
Is it polycarbonate?....it's suppose to be bullet proof and scratch resistant.....,I can actually purchase this plastic from my plastics vender a lot cheaper..:D

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
BossBuilt said:
Hmmm.....Why didnt you glue it in yourself instead of the rivets?...
I couldn't find any info on either web site about what it's made of.....
Is it polycarbonate?....it's suppose to be bullet proof and scratch resistant.....,I can actually purchase this plastic from my plastics vender a lot cheaper..:D
I am curious to this as well.....why rivets?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I talked to the dudes from Percy's (the guys that manufacture"speedglass") down at the PRI show a couple months ago.

"Speedglass" is polycarbonate (lexan) based. At their place in MO, they use a vacuum process to coat the polycarb with a proprietary anti-scratch coating. I've worked with several other "anti-scratch" lexans such as Hyzod and MAR10 (I think it was called MAR10) and they don't seem to hold a candle to what Percy's does.

"Speedglass" still isn't as good as regular automotive glass when it comes to scratching though. The stuff will still scratch easily, so they recommend using your wipers sparingly if at all especially when the "glass" is dirty (sand, grit, etc).

As for mounting, they do a lot of installations with regular sealant and gasketing. Riveting is just for that "coolness" factor or if you don't want to mess with sealant and expensive dealer gaskets.

As far as DOT legality, it ain't. Percy's was even making batches with a slight green tint to make it look more like automotive glass. Alas, how many of us have rigs that are perfectly DOT legal? It's one of those things that the federales shouldn't bother you about as long as you don't give them a reason to.

If the $380 bites you hard, Percy's will sell it by the sheet. Sheets go for about $350 and have enough material to cut two "wrangler" style windshields out of.

cm "lexan window fabricator extraordinaire" k

·
Registered
118 Posts
so, it scratches easier, it's more expensive...what's the point? is it that much stronger than normal glass? doesn't sound like a good idea for dd's - mine'd be scratched all to hell in a week! well, if my jeep was actually running anyway...

i think the rivet's look cool though.

is there a better alternative to automotive glass? stronger, scratch resistant, easy to cut to fit, etc?

·
Registered
118 Posts
just thought of something else. if you roll the jeep and you used gaskets and sealant for the windshield, wouldn't the pseudo- unbreakable windshield be more likely just pop out intact if you smash the widshield frame, and then you could reuse it after you straighten the frame out? vs using rivets, if you roll it, isn't it more likely break at the rivets requiring a replacement windshield later anyway? i mean, not that anybody rolls their jeeps...but ya never know...

and if you're really a hardcore wheeler, wouldn't you be folding the windshield down (if you even have one) anyway? in which case the only point of the speedglass would be for on-road use, right?

i'm so confused...

·
Registered
764 Posts
seems like it would have been a better idea to weld some tabs to the cage and, cut the "speedglass" to recess into the cage.

That way you could liberly use your wipers on the street, and fold down the windshield on the trail.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Skitzo said:
so, it scratches easier, it's more expensive...what's the point? is it that much stronger than normal glass? doesn't sound like a good idea for dd's - mine'd be scratched all to hell in a week! well, if my jeep was actually running anyway...
If you buy it by the sheet and install it yourself, the cost is about half of what it takes to have a "pro" install a new automotive glass screen for ya'.

Stronger? The stuff is literally bulletproof (to a point).

True, with normal use (wipers, city grime, etc), it would be scratched beyond good use in short order. But with a healthy coat of Rain-X, I barely use my wipers as it is. Adapting to life without wipers isn't difficult. Keeping the bums at the corner of 55 and Central from hitting it with their squeeges is a different story. That's where a really tall rig comes in handy ... they can't reach the windshield.

cmk

·
Registered
118 Posts
how'd you get around the slightly convex shape of the tj windshield? i know it's not much, but it's there. did a flat plane work ok anyway?

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE:
I think It was around $200 for normal glass replacement in my rig during summer..

:eek:

I just replaced my glass a few months ago. It was $90.00
I'd be concerned with the polycarb cracking from the holes drilled in it.
Looks good.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Rat Patrol said:
QUOTE:
I just replaced my glass a few months ago. It was $90.00
I'd be concerned with the polycarb cracking from the holes drilled in it.
By your sig line, I'm assuming that was $90 for a CJ7 screen. Prices on YJ and TJ screens seem to go up exponentially.

There are tools and methods to drill polycarb in such a way that the holes won't promote cracking.

Skitzo, if there is any curve in a TJ screen, it isn't nearly enough to even worry about when fitting a polycarb screen. We take mildly formed sheets and form them to the rear windows of "Monte Carlo-esque" bodies all the time.

cmk

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Buba said:
seems like it would have been a better idea to weld some tabs to the cage and, cut the "speedglass" to recess into the cage.

That way you could liberly use your wipers on the street, and fold down the windshield on the trail.
I've never felt the need for glass on a trail ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts