Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rolled jeep....Need windshield help!!!!

I recently rolled over my grand cherokee and messed up the roof pretty bad. I have been using a porta power and a sledge to try and straighten it out but i cant get the lines straight enough to put in a new glass windshield. This isnt my daily driver anymore but i want to keep it street legal so i can get it from trail to trail. I planned on putting a piece of lexan in but i heard how it scratches pretty bad. i did a search and read a little about this speedyglass that some people are using now in their rigs. i saw that you can buy sheets of this stuff. Could i get this and then somehow make it fit in a grand? has anyone done this before? also, if i were to get this, how would i go about installing it? i saw poeple either rivit it to the jeep or use sealants. what would be the best way to do so? how would i go about cutting the stuff, bending it to fit, and drilling holes if i were to rivit it. Thanks for the help. Also, i tried to post some pics but i am obviously doing it wrong. let me know how to post them and i will do so. thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Use html to post or buy a star in the future so you can post. Or just send them to me @ [email protected]

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know there are people out there with speedyglass windshields....at least tell me where i can get one

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
My friend has speedglass in his Jeep and hates it. It scratches very easily too. He won't run wipers because of it.

I'd try some lexan.

CJ

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
CJ Lagos said:
My friend has speedglass in his Jeep and hates it. It scratches very easily too. He won't run wipers because of it.

I'd try some lexan.

CJ
I don't know if speedglas stands up to wipers. I do know that Lexan, trade name for polycarbonate will scratch horribly with a clean paper towel.

Not a good choice and the reason speedglas was developed was to take advantage of polycarbonate's impact resistance and semi rigidity.

It is supposed to be a harder polymer film that is laminated to both sides similar to clear window tint that resists the scratching.

The problem with trying to do the install yourself from a pre-laminated sheet is that it cannot be bent without delamination of the films.

I have a half cab top that I made out of soft top material that I used a piece of the hard faced polycarbonate for a rear window. 3 years later and many cleanings with paper towels and Windex and it remains unscratched. No wipers though, just a lot of dust.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a polyshield, it's a chemically treated lexan that is supposed to stand up to scratching (the chemical coating). I wipe mine down with a damp rag to clean it, instructions say not to use dry towels. I haven't used my wipers yet, mostly because my motor blew only a month after I got the shield.
On a side note, it is very light, VERY clear (when cleaned I can't even tell it's there), and when water gets on it, it beads up in such a way that's much easier to see through than normal glass with water beads. It's similar to looking through frosted glass, instead of how water usually beads up you can barely see anything.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it seems like from what people 'hear' about this stuff that it scratches but from poeple who actually have it, say that like it and it doesnt scratch it as long as you dont have wipers. what i wanna know is what is the deal with bending it. everyone who has it seems to have TJ's and CJ's with flat windshields. A zj have a curve to it. also, where can i get speedyglass or this polycarbonate stuff? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sabeorcer said:
i was searching the internet and found two companies. anyone heard of anything of these or know anything about them? which one would you choose?

www.polyshields.com

www.racingshields.com

thanks
I think if you do a search here for polyshields you may come up with some more info. I know that i posted some comments in a thread awhile back. Polyshields.com is run by the same guy as Roadless Gear .com.

Figmo (Bill Madonna) has a very good reputation with the ZUK folks. He will also custom cut this stuff. I think that there are some reviews of the polyshield on izook or ORC. A google search may turn up more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm using lexan W/ MR10 coating , got it at a plastics dist. locally. Got enough for a tj windshield 1/4in. thick for less then 100$, cut it out with a jig saw w/ metal blade cuts easy. This stuff comes in thinner sheets also, easier to bend and cheaper. Just drilled holes in the poly and frame and mounted w/ stainless steel screws and nuts. Ran a strip of rubber tape between the poly and frame. So far so good, no scratches, but no wipers either, trail only, and it's been hit hard several times. The dist. told me you could bend it double before it would break.:confused: Will see.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Why not just put a windshield back in it? What will the cost differnce be? At least with a windshield you know running your wipers isnt going to screw it up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have been using a porta power and a sledge to try and straighten it out but i cant get the lines straight enough to put in a new glass windshield.
amazing what you can learn if you READ the original post:flipoff2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thansk for all the help. i gotta figure out which is the best and which is the most cost effective way to do this. what is the mr10 coating? anyone know?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts