Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone been out to spicer road off hwy 4? We are headed up to Arnold this weekend and want to decide if it is worth it to take the crawlers. We used to go up there and do some snow wheeling on spicier road down towards Slickrock trail, but I am not sure how much snow there is. Also I know the winter road closure opens tomorrow, but does that mean slickrock is open? I called the ranger but all they said is that it should open but you can't cause any resource damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called the ranger station last week. The area is supposed to open tomorrow. Other than that they weren't too helpful. I was also told there is about 2 feet of snow on spicer meadow rd. I find that hard to believe. Hoping somebody that lives in the area can chime in!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, I don't want to take the rigs if there is 6" of snow on spicer road and slickrock is closed due to it being too wet. I know they said that slickrock would be open, but they say you aren't allowed to cause resource damage. Obviously we don't want that. But it would suck to get up there and have nowhere to wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I would imagine there's still large drifts in the shade, I'm sure you could wheel with out tearing shit up though. I'm heading up there next weekend. Probably not bringing the rig though

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
A buddy and I were heading up tomorrow but there is forcast for up to 8" of snow and I took the top off my junk thinking its summer so we are waiting a couple weeks

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was pretty wet. There was 3ft of snow on the Lake Alpine side, and a 2ft dia tree down across the trail. Lots of winching.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
It was pretty wet. There was 3ft of snow on the Lake Alpine side, and a 2ft dia tree down across the trail. Lots of winching.
It's always like that after any kind of winter season..
been like that for years...never changes.

It usually doesn't dry out till early June
I've seen it pretty nasty though into late June also..

Nothing out of the ordinary for good ol' Slickrock.

I usually don't start going till July.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,090 Posts
It usually doesn't dry out till early June
I've seen it pretty nasty though into late June also..

Nothing out of the ordinary for good ol' Slickrock.

I usually don't start going till July.
It all depends on the year... I'm guessing early May this year (due to dry winter).

Here are some pictures from the weekend after 4th of July in 2011... (Around July 15th!)

Top of SL near the meadow:

This is a Snow Berm @ the top of SL where the USFS Gate is...:

Deer Valley the next day:

Video on DV.
http://youtu.be/3ZT45yiZe00

·
Registered
107 Posts
Slick Rock Trail

I would to remind everyone to please stay out of the meadow during your trips to Slick Rock. Every year our club the Joaquin Jeepers has to do some kind of repair to the Lake Alpine side upper meadow due to some one decides its easier to go around all the snow in the trees. Please enjoy the trail but don't damage the meadow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Amen

You guys a great job building the wood 'fence' alongside the trail. Maybe some signs should next up on the project. That way others who are new to trail, will know to stay out of that area.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Slick Rock trail conditions

Our club ran the trail last weekend and trail seems to in great condition. Luckily we found no new damage to the meadow up by Lake Alpine. We will be planning a couple of work days on trail later this year.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
How much time should I allow to run slick rock, this weekend? I would start at Alpine Lake and run that direction.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
A lot of rigs on the trail today, and everything was great! Quite a back up at the stairs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts