Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering using spiders' ultimate 60 knuckles and shafts on a 609 Im building. Have any of you guys come across any problems with these? I know their pretty new but I was hoping somebody could give some feedback on them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Alot of comp guys have been running them with awesome results. I know twisted customs and the lovells have beat the heck out of theres. Call Twisted Customs and talk to Brian if you have any questions. They have been working with spidertrax on alot of products and testing.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
We are using the 1550 stuff in their 1550 knuckles on Jack's CTM shafts, and holy crap they are so sick! Turning radius is insane, and they are strong enough to hold up to over 500 horsepower. Definitely the front axle to have... Read up on dirty harry's 60 degree steering article.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Kinda a newb question here. Whats the deal with unit bearings? Can they only be run with drive flanges? I like to be able to drive this on the street and would hate to have to deal with the front drive shaft spinning all the time, not to mention the wear and tear on the front drivetrain. I know the drive slugs can be pulled but that would get old quick.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Kinda a newb question here. Whats the deal with unit bearings? Can they only be run with drive flanges? I like to be able to drive this on the street and would hate to have to deal with the front drive shaft spinning all the time, not to mention the wear and tear on the front drivetrain. I know the drive slugs can be pulled but that would get old quick.
The more I search on this the more confused I become. Ive been reading for 3 hours now and Im getting a lot of mixed opinons on these.

Ive seen a lot of people bitching about unit bearings but not about the spider unit bearings in particular.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my Jeepster we are actually running Warn hubs, all of the other we have built are running their flanges.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
We competed 4 season on the same unitbearings and never had a issue. Im currently building a toyota 60 hybrid using them and i dont even blink a eye at them.

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
I couldn't be happier with mine! Would do it again in a heartbeat. You get to build it the way you want, in stages if you need. It's the NASA of rockcrawling:beer::beer::usa:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess I know whos getting another call from me tomorrow... I already ordered a housing from them, its gonna be nice being able to put everything exactly where I want it. Especially on the knuckles themselves.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Well, I guess I know whos getting another call from me tomorrow... I already ordered a housing from them, its gonna be nice being able to put everything exactly where I want it. Especially on the knuckles themselves.
You are going to be shocked at how light they are compared to cast knuckles and the simplicity is so sweet.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
FWIW... seems to me that WelderBoy doesn't market his fabbed 60 knuckles for street driven rigs because he said that welded knuckles are not technically legal for street use...?

Maybe its one of those "not for street use" liability disclaimers, but I don't think that's what I'd heard. Might want to get some clarification.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW... seems to me that WelderBoy doesn't market his fabbed 60 knuckles for street driven rigs because he said that welded knuckles are not technically legal for street use...?

Maybe its one of those "not for street use" liability disclaimers, but I don't think that's what I'd heard. Might want to get some clarification.
Ill ask him about that as well when Im ordering. I dont see how they would be a problem in reality though. reality and legality are two totally different things. I think you can get away with anything here though. I know beadlocks have never been a problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have ultimate 60's for a buggy I am collecting parts for! I originally had 4 knuckles Because I was going to build with rear steer but after finding out how much they charge for the axles shafts $2300 I decided to send back two knuckles for credit!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ultimate 60's for a buggy I am collecting parts for! I originally had 4 knuckles Because I was going to build with rear steer but after finding out how much they charge for the axles shafts $2300 I decided to send back two knuckles for credit!
Im probably gonna have to go with some standard 4340 35 spline shafts for now. I can deal with not having 50 degree turning.

This may sound crazy but the only reason I can see to not go with these knuckles is the weight. I have a heavy rig and like having a lot of un-sprung weight

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im probably gonna have to go with some standard 4340 35 spline shafts for now. I can deal with not having 50 degree turning.

This may sound crazy but the only reason I can see to not go with these knuckles is the weight. I have a heavy rig and like having a lot of un-sprung weight
Water in tires!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts