Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally out!

Spidertrax Thorax

1.6L engine + Sidekick Tranny + Thorax Gear Splitter (either 1:1 or 2:1) = 1" longer than a 1.3L engine + Samurai Tranny...

Or...

Sidekick with a 1.6 + standard tranny + Thorax = Ready to fit up a Yota Xfercase etc...

Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think I'm missing something. You replace the 1.8:1 Kick tcase with this 2:1 box, for $1700.

Isnt there one of those Kicker adapters to connect the Kick tcase to the sammi tcase for a lot less? Not sure of the price.

What is the advantage of the spidertrax, length?

Curious bec I'm thinking of doing something like this the next time the sawsall comes out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The point of this is that it is shorter than the stock sidekick T-case, right?

I realize that it is just 1 inch longer than the stock Sami trans, but any guesses as to how much shorter is it than a stock Sidekick T-case?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I must be missing something.

This is the same as a Klune except it's two speed instead of four right?

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
SilverZuk said:
I must be missing something.

This is the same as a Klune except it's two speed instead of four right?
No it isnt the same....they took sidekick gears, machined them and then made there own case for them..................They have been doing this for a while, this is just the first time its been release for sale to the public

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
arnt the kick gears only 1.8 low

and if it was only 1"longe rthen a sammi t-case then why is the jack shaft so short :confused:

:massey:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
you might as well use the sidekick t -case and buy 4.445to 1's for 899 and you get a better deal any ways

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Lets you basically have a sami tcase behind a 2:1 case and splits to 1:1 so you can rip down the hiway, like havin 1 case in 1:1.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Is OTT really that bad to deal with ?

Dont get me wrong this is some cool poop, and is definitly pushing the technology a bit.... Just curious to the $$...

I think the 1.6 bell chevette auto and a custom mid shaft into a 4:1 is sounding sweet and cheep....

-yag

·
Registered
144 Posts
i guess this will make a persone decide what they want more! bang for the buck, or flat out serious bling bling!! i thing i like the bang for the buck method, but thats natural! im a cheap skate and eternaly broke!! lol:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Shrock said:
I think I'm missing something. You replace the 1.8:1 Kick tcase with this 2:1 box, for $1700.

Isnt there one of those Kicker adapters to connect the Kick tcase to the sammi tcase for a lot less? Not sure of the price.

What is the advantage of the spidertrax, length?

Curious bec I'm thinking of doing something like this the next time the sawsall comes out.
Shrock where can I find this sami to kick adapter? I'm interested!!!:D

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
For the person who asked about the short jackshaft when it's only 1 inch longer, think about the shape of a zuk tranny and think of where the output is. Then look at the output location on the spidy box.
Ken

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
rollerskate said:
Thorax.......good name.:cool: Kind of interesting the way they
made the case out of layered plates.
Waterjet cutting the plates is probably a lot cheaper than hogging out a chunk of billet on the VMC. Did you notice if they gasket between each plate or are the doing something else like welding them up inside?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Titainum- what do you think Hi range in a Kick is? 1-1. So yes he can.
I am doing the same with my new rig.:D
But mine is IN a tracker! With a GRS2 behind. Just another way to skin a Cat!

·
Registered
343 Posts
DemoMike said:

Waterjet cutting the plates is probably a lot cheaper than hogging out a chunk of billet on the VMC. Did you notice if they gasket between each plate or are the doing something else like welding them up inside?
Couldn't tell by looking at the picture but it's my guess they're
gasketing between each plate and running all the bolts
completely thru to complete the sandwitch.This method seems
best suited to a prototype or very small runs of units.I wouldn't
be surprised to see them go to a casting if this box proves to
be popular.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts