Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
The one Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" I got, which is the "best" one according to the other thread on here, isn't very good.

It won't even touch truck lug nuts, we still need the 1" air impact. I mostly bougt it for that too, figured could fix in the woods without dragging out the service truck.

Hell the other day it wouldn't take off 3 or 4 of my pickup lug nuts that the 1/2" air gun spun off with barely an ugga dugga.

It's supposed to be like 1400 ft/lbs? Yeah... no way in hell!
What battery? And did you check the settings? And what model #?

There is something wrong if it's that gutless. Mine spins off lug nuts with ease, but you do need a 9.0 battery to get full torque. I won't bother running it on less than a 5.0

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
The one Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" I got, which is the "best" one according to the other thread on here, isn't very good.

It won't even touch truck lug nuts, we still need the 1" air impact. I mostly bougt it for that too, figured could fix in the woods without dragging out the service truck.

Hell the other day it wouldn't take off 3 or 4 of my pickup lug nuts that the 1/2" air gun spun off with barely an ugga dugga.

It's supposed to be like 1400 ft/lbs? Yeah... no way in hell!
Has to be environmental, how cold are you trying to make them work? That's about the only downside, cold weather hurts the performance on the batteries.

I gave my old Milwaukee brushed 1/2" impact (2662-21, 450ft-lbs iirc) to my BIL to keep in his drill rig because he has to pull the outer duals leaving some job sites to get the mud out before hitting the highway. Less than 1/2 of a 5.0 battery they're off and on without a hitch.

I got the guys a 2763 (700ft-lbs fastening?) for the shop and every time they gall up a 18-8 fastener up to 1/2", they just shear it instead of cutting it off now.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
bullshit.

I've taken lug nuts off in 0 degree weather with mine, and it's not even the fuel version. just the older 4 pole brushed on.

I just used it to break loose all the lug bolts on a volvo, and to break free the LCA bolts that were factory locktited and torqued to 130nm that have been on there since 2004.
all of that with an old XC 4.0 battery that only had 3 bars showing when I started.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
You won’t trust Milwaukee but you’ll trust harbor freight? There are lots of videos on the 1,400 ft oh Milwaukee nut busting torque.
Where did I say that? You think somehow Milwaukee is fully honest on their power ratings or that they shine up their numbers just like everyone else?

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Where did I say that? You think somehow Milwaukee is fully honest on their power ratings or that they shine up their numbers just like everyone else?
they shine all that shit up.

but the reality is that in buying cordless tools these days you're buying batteries.

and in my experience the willfuckyee batteries are the best.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Both air and electric have less torque when tightening. There's not a 1/2" air gun out there that comes close to the torque of the new electric guns. Electric is about 1400ft-lbs removing and 1000ft-lbs tightening. Most quality air guns are 1000 and 750. Not even close to the power of an electric gun.
Uh new air guns are claiming 930ft-lbs tightening and 1350ft-lbs removing. That's pretty close. What they are actually rate out to I don't know.

The old 120v units? They're pussy compared to the battery stuff.

I rattled out a Honda crank bolt with mine, and people bitch all the time about not being able to get them with air.
No not corded stuff.

It's amusing that just because I have not had the same experience and someone else that means I'm wrong and my experience never happened.

I guess I must have misremember what happened.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
they shine all that shit up.

but the reality is that in buying cordless tools these days you're buying batteries.

and in my experience the willfuckyee batteries are the best.

Pretty much. I like Bosch and Makita magic packs myself, but as long as they use the pink (Samsung, LG are okay too) cells they are all pretty good.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
we have a coupe mulcher heads at work in my experience even with using anti seize and regular tightening of the teeth bolts you're still going to need at least a 3/4" impact to remove the teeth.

our munchers are FAE brand so they have one large metric fine thread bolt holding the teeth on (im assuming by the torque spec you also have this design) we also have one bobcat head that uses 2 i think 1/2" bolts which aren't as much of a PITA

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
bullshit.

I've taken lug nuts off in 0 degree weather with mine, and it's not even the fuel version. just the older 4 pole brushed on.

I just used it to break loose all the lug bolts on a volvo, and to break free the LCA bolts that were factory locktited and torqued to 130nm that have been on there since 2004.
all of that with an old XC 4.0 battery that only had 3 bars showing when I started.
I've never tried it, but data says battery capacity is about 50% of rated at 0*F. He may be full of crap, but batteries not performing well under low temperature isn't, it's science.

I've had nothing but good luck with either the brushed or newer 1st gen Fuel.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I realize that, but if you start with a charged battery it will take off lug nuts in cold weather.

his claim that it wouldn't even pull lugnuts off off his truck is bullshit. I

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
we have a coupe mulcher heads at work in my experience even with using anti seize and regular tightening of the teeth bolts you're still going to need at least a 3/4" impact to remove the teeth.

our munchers are FAE brand so they have one large metric fine thread bolt holding the teeth on (im assuming by the torque spec you also have this design) we also have one bobcat head that uses 2 i think 1/2" bolts which aren't as much of a PITA
Denis Cimaf D180 Mulcher head. Yes, one bolt, fine thread, special lock washer.

Milwaukee makes a 3/4 impact/torque wrench.

God Bless,
David B.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I realize that, but if you start with a charged battery it will take off lug nuts in cold weather.

his claim that it wouldn't even pull lugnuts off off his truck is bullshit. I
Yes it is. I have the compact fuel 1/2" and it takes the lug nuts off my f250 @ 140 without thinking about it. Harmonic balancer bolts no problem either. I couldn't break loose rusted 9/16" u bolts though. I believe the compact is rated at 225ish. I fucking love it. Seriously haven't taken out the air impact in 2 years.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Has to be environmental, how cold are you trying to make them work? That's about the only downside, cold weather hurts the performance on the batteries.

I gave my old Milwaukee brushed 1/2" impact (2662-21, 450ft-lbs iirc) to my BIL to keep in his drill rig because he has to pull the outer duals leaving some job sites to get the mud out before hitting the highway. Less than 1/2 of a 5.0 battery they're off and on without a hitch.

I got the guys a 2763 (700ft-lbs fastening?) for the shop and every time they gall up a 18-8 fastener up to 1/2", they just shear it instead of cutting it off now.

70* or so.

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
Uh, nope.

Bought it for the log truck, won't even touch those. 1400ft lbs, yeah right!
You've got to be doing something wrong.

Using the 700 ft lb model, I've swapped combine tires in the field. Those are 3/4" shank bolts, 15/16"? head studs.... And they'd been in place for 30+ years.

Same gun, installed duals on a tractor - 4 tires, 12-16 bolts per tire... put them on, crank them down. Worked like a champ. The gun and the impact socket were both almost too hot to hold when we got done, but it did the job.

Try taking it off the low setting? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I couldn't break loose rusted 9/16" u bolts though.
That's the only thing our 1/2" fuel hasn't taken off too... It is because the u-bolts are so long that they twist in torsion when the impact is hammering and take all the shock away from the nut you are trying to loosen... In that instance I doubt any impact would work. I ended up having to get out the breaker bar, and a cheater on those u-bolts I was working on. Snapped a couple of them off even after large amounts of penetrating oil.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Please enlighten me on how exactly someone can screw up trying to use it to remove semi truck lugs? It's not exactly rocket surgery. In fact stuff like that I'd trust our shop monkey to do, and he can just about fuck up a wet dream.

it seems to be an ID ten T error.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts