Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any harm in splaying my ¼ elliptical springs towards the outboard side of my rear axle? I want maximum stability, and moving the axle mounting points of the spring outwards seems like a good way to achieve this.

I don’t see any harm in having the fixed side of my ¼ elliptical springs about 30 inches apart and the axle side about 45 inches apart. Can anyone think of any negative effects of this that I’m missing? The axle end of the spring is mounted with a heim joint, to alleviate some twisting stress. The control arms will be arranged in an upper wishbone/parallel lower design, if that matters…..

AndyF

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
serious twist? on the spring

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would splaying them impart extra forces over a parallel spring arrangement?

Andy

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I put a question mark there... I am still thinking about...

droop.... Under full droop the springs would be under side load/compresson???

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I know that those little cement mixer trailers things have 1/4 eliptical springs that are angled like you have mentioned.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's a start!

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a viable way to add stability to a 1/4 elliptical setup. You could lighten up on the spring rate, and still have good roll control.

On a side note, how common are broken main leafs in a quarter elliptical setup?

Andy

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i saw a pic of tim hardy's sami from the bottom once and it seemed to have the 1/4 elip springs point outward a bit from the frame mount, but it wasnt very excessive. maybe like 30" at the frame to 35'' at the axle? if those corilate to sami frame dimensions....

it was in the 4wheel mag that had the 2002 ultimate adventure artilce...EDIT,i found it, i can email it to you if you need it....

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I see those little cement mixer trailers all over the place here where I live and I had thought about setting up the springs with the same angle as my lower links.

This would make it easier to mount the springs and links without concern of them getting in the way of each other.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My 1/4 elip springs are about 4" wider on the axle than the frame. I've had no adverse affect because of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts