Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in Thailand I saw a shit load of people fishing with these spools of fishing lure, they would spin the line over their heads and toss them into the water....the best way I can describe the spools is that they were plastic and looked kinda like a trucks steel rim in shape, about 10 inches in diameter anyone ever seen this before, I was looking to get one of those spools they are small and from what I saw they are easy as hell to use, they don't take up a lot of space, so they would be perfect for backpacking....any ideas

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It's a handline spool. I'm sure cabella's and bass pro shops carry them.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
are they effective or are they more for a certain type of fish or water.
I see them more frequently in South America. They usually run kinda heavy line on them so you're not likely to fool a little brook trout in clear stream. I do have a few friends that keep them on their sailboats. Capt. Harry's Fishing Supply has them for about 15 bucks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Those would be more for people who need the fish to survive. If you just wanted to catch fish, there would be much better ways to go about it. And like was stated above, if you are fishing really clear water, or trying to catch really picky fish, you can't use the really heavy line.

I guess it just depends on where you plan on fishing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those would be more for people who need the fish to survive. If you just wanted to catch fish, there would be much better ways to go about it. And like was stated above, if you are fishing really clear water, or trying to catch really picky fish, you can't use the really heavy line.

I guess it just depends on where you plan on fishing.
Oahu Hawaii...out of my Kayak in reef areas :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts