Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my truck primarily for off road. Very Very little on road stuff.
I would like to get a spool for the front end. I am wondering though if I get a spool How hard will the truck be to turn in four wheel drive. If it is hard to turn can I unlock one hub creating an open diff? Or would this harm my truck. The truck is used in few technical trails. Mostly in snow mud and on hill climbs. I am told welding the spiders will do the same thing as a spool so why not do that? These options for the front axle. rear is locked already.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
291 Posts
hey hey

my budie put a spool in the front of his f250,

dont do it unless you have a strong power steering setup!
that spooled frontend was a pain in the butt to turn and it had only 33" bfg gay terrains, yet it was a heavy arse truck!

welded diffs seem to work good (just like a spool!) , and if the welds do break most of the time they will go back to a open diff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a locker. A welded or spooled diff is going to be extremely hard to turn in the slow stuff, and handle poorly at highway speeds. A locker allows the tire to turn at different speeds until power is applied. A Easy locker or Lockrite are only around 250$ and well worth the extra $ :p

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Lead it!

If you want to 'test' it with a spool - Take your diff apart - clean it up real good and melt a ton of lead into the spider gears - in effect creating a welded diff. The guys in my club use about 2-3 tuna fish cans (easy to heat and work with at that size) worth of lead. They hold up great and if/when they blow out - the lead is soft enough not to destroy your ring and pinion. If you like how it handles spooled up - buy a full spool or weld the shizzo out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
In the rear, weld it, but for the front, spend the money for a lock rite. It will be money well spent when you try to turn. Also, arent you running a closed knuckle dana 44? sounds like a great combination for :nuke: to me.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i run a spool up front and it works fine. you will need to make more three point turns because it will develop a push but other than that it is fine. i would choose a spool over a any locker other than a arb. and a arb is a spool when switched on.

when i had an arb i rarley every turned it off

i have ram assist steering which makes the steering effort nice and easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: spool

I wondering if I unlock one hub in technical sections that would allow me to turn easily. Would that kill my axle some how? The stuff I doo isnt't technical at all just prarie mud slinging ditch hoppin fun. Another question. What is the differance between a spool and a mini spool??
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
A spool replaces the entire carrier - a mini spool just replaces the spider gears - similar to a lockright or ez-locker.

As for unlocking one hub - it works but you'll be more apt to break stuff doing that as all the power will always be going to just one front wheel when you unlock the other one. Its like when you break one hub and then end up blowing out the othersides u-joint becasue you kept getting on it. Or does that just ahappen to me :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
A spool replaces the carrier with a stronger one also. Welding the spider gears keeps the stock carrier. If you want a fully locked front end, get a detroit, spool, or arb, don't weld it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I get a mini spool can I install it myself?

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Re: hey hey

antelopeXJ said:

welded diffs seem to work good (just like a spool!) , and if the welds do break most of the time they will go back to a open diff.
Not true! If the welds "break", small pieces of metal will find their way between your R&P, bearings, etc. In general, it'll fawk up you're 3rd:eek:

This isn't hear-say, I've been there- fixed that:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the dilema

The truck has 37's with 4.10 gears. The truck has a 318 in it that is slightly modified. It also has a 205 tcase with it's rather high 2:1 low range. I would like to put a set of 5.38's in the truck to et some more spin and low end climbing power. If I buy the spool I can't afford new gears. If I buy the Mini Spool I still don't think I could buy gears. If I weld it I could. I have my own welder. ( I would ARC it with 6011 150amps or so) And am pretty good. Is it really worth the money to buy a spool or mini spool. Can I get a gear set out of another used truck so I only have to buy one other set of gears or none??The Axles are a 44 and 60 ff so they are pretty common.
Just trying to figure out what is best.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
There's nothing wrong with welded spiders as long as you do it correctly. With a stick welder, I'd pull the carrier to make sure I could get all the welding slag out. But, you said you were going to go with new gears anyway. Since you've never done it before, do a search and you'll find a lot of very usefull info on the subject. Better yet, find someone local that has done it before to lend a hand.

A word of caution! I've done a few and pretend that I know what I'm doing and I still had a D44 rear completely grenade on my daughter's rig:eek: IMO, I had too much heat and I weakend the already cracked spider gear. BOOM!

You sure you want to buy and install new gears in a welded diff? If it were my $$, I'd wait to do the work until I could do it right the first time.

Just my .02;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turning

I took the following from some thread on the net. All my driving will be on dirt, mud, gravel or snow, NO ROCKS IN SASKATCHEWAN wher i am. Will I really really notice that the steering is unbearible when I weld the spiders? This guy thinks not.

It depends entirely on the conditions. In order to turn, the inside wheels need to turn slower than the outside wheels. With the diff locked, that can't happen (although a LockRight or Detroit will ratchet).

How much it effects steering depends on how much traction the wheels have. On pavement or slick rock, it will be very difficult to steer and your tires will have to slip/skid to do so and your turning radius will be larger.

On dirt, there's plenty of slip so it's not nearly as noticible.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Eather way you are going to have steering problems. I would go with a spool for a couple different reasons.

A spool is lighter
A spool is stronger then a welded carrier
I have heard many people tell me they :nuke: there welded diff but I have never heard of some one breaking a spool

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah baby

well, if you cant deside what you want, i always flip a coin, seems to work for me lol

anyways, my buddy has a mini spool for a dana 44, used
he paid a lillte over $100 bucks for it, would you like me to ask him if he will sale it? i could ask him what he wants for it (if you want me too)

ohh about welding diffs,
my cousin broke the weld in his spider gears and it doesant make any noise and he doesant give a shit, hes been driving around with all that crap in his 3rd member for a week now, no probs BUTTT he has a drop out center section and like my 9" they have a pretty thick channel that the shit will reast down in there, he also has magnetic drain plugs too.

my cousin is such a dumbass, when he broke teeth off his ring gear (curb hoppin), he didnt bother to clean out the axle housing, when we pulled the 3rd out to weld it, i found about 3 chunks of metal (probably teeth) just chillin in his housing.

we swapped the front into the back so he could have working gears in the rear and we didnt put fluid in the front 3rd member becasue it was already fawked up, but he is still wheelin it without any fluid in the front what a dumbass :shaking:

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
I had a welded D60 in the front of my chevy, and the turning radius was huge. Even in fields where the traction was minimal. You have to do three point turns (or more). The other option is to put it in two wheel and floor it. That'll turn you around with your rear welded. If you decide to weld it, Why don't you weld it now. Try it with your present gears. Then you'll know if its too bad to live with. When you change gears/axles, you'll know first hand whether you want a locker or not, and you can do it then.
I won't weld the front again. Worst mod I ever did. Locker's on its way for the wrangler.:jeep:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welding Her Up

Well I think I'm All But decided. However I am going to get some insurace. I think I can get Another 44 carrier and ring gear from a junkyard incase this one blows(in every sence of the word). I am not all that worried since the trails i do arn't that technical. also if I do need to be a little more nimble I can be with the turn of one hub. I guess this will be a learning thing for me. I'll try to keep you guys posted. If all else fails maybe I'll sell a kidney or somthing to buy a locker. Any idea what those go for??

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Re: yeah baby

antelopeXJ said:
well, if you cant deside what you want, i always flip a coin, seems to work for me lol

anyways, my buddy has a mini spool for a dana 44, used
he paid a lillte over $100 bucks for it, would you like me to ask him if he will sale it? i could ask him what he wants for it (if you want me too)

ohh about welding diffs,
my cousin broke the weld in his spider gears and it doesant make any noise and he doesant give a shit, hes been driving around with all that crap in his 3rd member for a week now, no probs BUTTT he has a drop out center section and like my 9" they have a pretty thick channel that the shit will reast down in there, he also has magnetic drain plugs too.

my cousin is such a dumbass, when he broke teeth off his ring gear (curb hoppin), he didnt bother to clean out the axle housing, when we pulled the 3rd out to weld it, i found about 3 chunks of metal (probably teeth) just chillin in his housing.

we swapped the front into the back so he could have working gears in the rear and we didnt put fluid in the front 3rd member becasue it was already fawked up, but he is still wheelin it without any fluid in the front what a dumbass :shaking:
Paul? :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts