Pirate 4x4 banner

Spool-vs-locker up front

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  NH Jeep Junkie 
#1 ·
Hey all, new here, 1st post :)
Is there any advantage to running a locker up front insted of a spool?
Will the truck ('82 F150, TTB front end) turn any tighter with a locker insted of a spool?
I have used a spool or welded dif. in the back for years with an open diff. up front, but have decided that for my new trail toy I will step up to a locked front end too.

#5 ·
What an interesting topic for discussion, why has this never come up here before? I cant believe that we havnt talked about this at one time or another on a board as technically diverse as this one.

Oh, maybe we have, about a thousand times, try the fawking search button. :shaking:

#9 ·
:D with the money you would save welding the spool, you could get yourself a high pinion 60 and full hydro steering....then steering will be a-ok.
seriously you are going to get a flame fest for this, two pieces of advice, dish it back with some humor (don't be an ahole, or no one will help you) or just delete this thread and do a search ( i recommend the latter). there are more discussions on this in the archives than you have days to read about it. :flipoff2: oh and welcome to pirate

#10 ·
el ranger loco said:
Fuck no it doesnt.. It will be a ttb d44 which has the same everything as a solid 44 where it counts.. Flexin may suck but the locker will be fine. :p

But you have 4 ity bitty D44 Ujoints to break instead of 2. Thats 16 C-clips to fall out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.