Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super dumb question because lockers are expensive, and I am looking for cheap, but is it possible to run spools on the street if you are running lock-outs and only have one side locked?
I am building 609's front and rear with '99-'04 Super Duty Unit bearings, so the rear would be full-float with lock-outs.

· blatant asshole
14,425 Posts
The heavier you are the worse it is.
Possible? Yes.
Desierable? No
Misserable? Yes.

And if your housings arent perfectly straight it will shit the splines out.

· blatant asshole
14,425 Posts
Isn't that really true regardless of the locker/spool type?
Not neccassarily.
If it has a slight bend the side gear will track and most everything will survive and function. A bad bend say over 3/16" then things could get wonky.

Spools have machined splines hard in the body, any bend/deflection will imdeatly begin eating splines.

· Registered
378 Posts
Full locked on the road really isn't nice. Chatter around corner, shitty turning radius,(parking In tight spots sucks) wet icy slippery roads kinda suck...and the money saved on a proper locker gets spent replacing tires that chew up super fast. Even my drift car with a spool sucks, unless on a track. But to go get milk on a rainy day? Fuck that I take the wife's Suby.
The pros. Straight up traction. not a lot to break.
Cons are many.
And if your homemade housing arent straight....that's been covered. So jig hem up straight, and buy a locker 😉

· blatant asshole
14,425 Posts
Doesnt matter and will make for some radical driving. Instead of 200hp to both tires you get full 200hp to 1 tire and decell/motor drag to 1 tire. It will dive all over the place on/off throttle and youll be constantly smoking that 1 tire.

We tried that with my buddies stock s10 motor and it would spin off a 37-39" tire

· Registered
22 Posts
I second and can verify that what you save in lockers you will spend on tires…. I had Detroit’s… eventually changed to selectable… better on trial, better on the road. You could do selectable in back, spool or auto-lock in front, on the road with hubs unlocked it won’t factor in. I changed out my front Detroit for the trail, as coming down obstacles while trying to turn was impossible being front loaded… even with hydro assist. Yea… I’d stay away from a single wheel engaged in the rear with a spool… that’s asking for trouble. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts