Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SUZUKI: spring hanger construction

I pre-searched this topic. :flipoff2:

I'm in the process of building new spring hangers that I'm going to weld to my Samurai's frame.

Does anyone know the safest minimum thickness for the steel plate that I will construct my hanger from?

I'm thinking 3/16" thickness minimum, due to the amount of times I see it mentioned on this board. Also, spring will be 48-52" long with maximum rate of 120lbs with an additional 400-600lbs coming from an air spring that will be used at times.

·
Registered
324 Posts
3/16 should be fine, make sure to gusset it well, i am using 1/4 inch on mine due to the high loads they can be put under while flexing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered two 6"x18"x.25" blanks of 4142 pre hardened steel from McMaster Carr... and dayum if my ass pocket aint smokin.

I figure I'll make the shackles and hangers from all the material and have a little extra left over.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would definately go with the 1/4". The weight difference is not going to be noticeable where it counts. Having 3/16" vs. 1/4" is not going to be an obvious difference on the trail.

From a strength standpoint it's obviously going to be stronger, but at what cost. If you manage to get enough of a load on it (either static or dynamic), then you have decide if you'd rather risk the weld breaking, or the mount bending. In my case, I'd rather have the mount bend, which the 3/16" should do first. But if your welds are good, then your fine with the 1/4" and you have more piece of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts