Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know some have done this my question is what lift did you use in the rear? i have 2.5 ome lift now. what would i need to change or not change?

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
honestly, i would go SOA all-around. But, if you wanna SUA rear, you will ned about 6" of lift to match the front. This is assuming that u use stock front springs. I would suggest a set from Alcan, as i have heard good things about them. In order to balance the suspension, you will want to stiffen the front springs, and order softer rear ones, as the front springs are a lot closer together.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I have seen this work really well and have thought if I could go back I would try it out. What I have seen is that it makes the front very soft and the rear really stiff. The reason that I like that setup is the only problem I have had with climbing is that I start getting the bounce when just a little traction is lost. I added an add a leaf in the rear and that more of less solved that problem. I like soft front to drop on steep inclines and the rear to be stiff so no bouncing. "just my opionion I could be wrong"

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
wngrog said:
Eric,
Do you run 9000's in the rear? I just crank mine to 5 on the trail and it pretty much eliminates any bounce on steep hills.

It bouces like hell when the shocks are on 3.
I used to run 9000's in the rear, but now I just run some crap ass pro comps and an add a leaf in the rear and seems fine. I think my setup was wierd, because 3 was a little too soft and I got the bounce but if I used 4 or 5 it hurt my stomach!:eek:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am going to do this.

I have a spring reversal in the front that
nets about 2 in lift plus I will add longer
shackels in the front.
in the rear I an not shure but am leaning torwards
wagoneer springs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Im digging up an old thread because i am contemlating doing the same thing. I have 5" Alcans and due to several factors i ended up pulling the front end out I was going to flip the fronts for some more wheen base but due to the arch of the springs It would rotate the axle back about 15* so my thinking was....

spring over the front with sotck springs and leave the rear SUA. Should i add a leaf to the front packs to even it out or will the stock fronts be fairly close to the SUA rears?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
In my book makes no sense to go SUA in the rear only mostly because it's so easy to do in the rear. If you have the parts/don't need a rear driveshaft a couple hours at most. I would just stiffen your springs if you want a stiff rear axle, just my $.02

·
Registered
386 Posts
The truck is already 5" Alcan SUA in the rear and if I went spring over in the rear I would have to build a track bar which would just add one more pre-GSMTR project.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Suck the fornt down with your winch like the comp rigs. Soft front and rear springs whatever 9000 setting and no bounce because the front suspension can't unload.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
I think that going SOA in the front and SUA in the rear is a waste. Doing the front is all the hard work. You can build a traction bar for the rear VERY easily. It can be done in about 2-3 hours. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Dima

1 - 14 of 14 Posts