·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Almost done with prints

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I would definitely like to see as many detailed photos of the machining process as you can get. My exposure to machined cast parts is very limited. Mostly billet.

Looking forward to the progress.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Da plan

3.574 stroke
3.68 stroke
3.75 stroke
4.00 stroke

Chevy 2.1 journal

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I'm guessing the info is on your forum, but what will be common combos for parts? (rods, pistons)

Are these going to be available for the 360, or just 401? I'm guessing that since the 3.574 stroke crank is less than the 401, there'll be something for 360?

Will chevy journals allow for a stock chevy rod/piston combo to be used with the 360? Or will one or both have to be custom? (like a 0.045 over 360 using Chevy 400 slugs?)

Will cost be up there like the Indy cranks?

edit: a 4.125x4.00 360 would be 427ci!!! That can't be real?

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use off the shelf forged $150 chevy 6" rods and nicely priced pistons either from us or customs from someone else. These cranks fit 290-304-343-360-390-401

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
So turning a 360 into a 427 is possible then? Holy crap. I'm guessing that would open up a can of worms to try and get that sucker to breathe.

Sounds pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing this come along.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its all preliminary at this point just the rough drafts are finished. We do have factory prints so its not a question of strengh. But at this point I am not sure of much more of the mfg 2nd party vendor price and lead time so I rally cant quote when or what they will cost but they look good for January 1st 2008.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cant wait to see the final product. Making me glad that I delayed my 360 build, now maybe when I get around to it this will be ready.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It's about time someone made a stroker crank for the AMC!

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We will have 8 billet crankshafts available in October but forgings are a ways away. Rightnow we simply dont have enough people ready to buck down $800 for a steel forged crankshaft. We want to do 3.75 3.85 4.00 and 4.125 strokes and can from the same tooling but the initial cost is a killer.

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
ill be the first to admit, i'm pretty dumb when it comes to some things.

is a billet crank bad? how much would one cost me for a AMC 304.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
ill be the first to admit, i'm pretty dumb when it comes to some things.

is a billet crank bad? how much would one cost me for a AMC 304.

billet cranks are good. Imagine taking a solid piece of round stock (think log), and machining it into the shape of a crank. top nothc quality control, balance, ect. Just super expensive due to the time on the machine and the amount of wasted metal.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing beats the strength of a billet crankshaft. Pricing is around $2400

1 - 20 of 27 Posts