Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a 1 ton swap in my 2010 JK 2 door wrangler.
I really need some good tips on how to square the axles under my jeep on a unlevel dirt floor.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If it were me, I would:
1) Level the frame high (and safe) enough to do the work. Keep in mind you are going to be articulating the axles to check clearances so you need a very stable platform to start with.
2) Establish the vehicle centerline using plumb bobs from the frame. I'd drive stakes in the ground and stretch string to make this permanent. Note it doesn't have to be in the center but that makes measuring easier and less likely to mess up getting the axles centered.
3) Establish a perpendicular reference from the centerline using plumb bobs to make 3-4-5 triangles. This line will be your reference for placing link mounts and aligning the axles. You will find this is a two person job, with one person holding each end of the tape measure while not disturbing the plumb bobs. Keep in mind the tape measure has to be fairly level.

This is similar to what I did on my build, except we marked the concrete floor and sprayed some clear coat on the reference lines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here's what I did on my old style driveway that only has two concrete "strips" for your tires and dirt on both sides and in center.

Go to home depot and buy a bunch of pressure treated 2x4s. Get 3 sheets of 1/2" or even better 3/4" marine plywood.

Lay out the 2x4s and screw the plywood down on top.

I figured out where the tires / jeep frame were gonna be and put extra supports under that area.

Keep in mind You are gonna want at least enough space in front and back and on the sides to maneuver a floor jack around without it falling off the platform.

Also if you pay attention and build the platform well, it'll last a good while. Mine was still mostly solid after 4 years when I finally finished my build and tossed it.

That means predrill the holes and countersink for the screws to prevent splitting.

When it was finished I mixed a bit of whatever old oil I had with some thinner and spread it around. I wiped off any excess to prevent it from staining everything that touched it.

The key IMO is to use plenty of 2x4s to spread the weight.

Another benefit is that you can draw or paint your layout marks on it and it won't bother anyone when you are done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
use level.
I would use my lazer level .
The cheapest way would be to get at least 4 string levels and heavy string, and tighten strings across frame and across steering knucles or spring perches.
Or make x with string .
Hang string level in center of eack string.
Cut squares of ply wood to put under jackstands till every thing is level and keep from sinking into dirt.

·
W6FTW
3,819 Posts
Laser level and use alignment holes on the frame. Usually there are mirrored holes from driver to pass that are meant to be alignment holes.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts