Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 Chevy C30 mason dump dually. It has a 14 bolt dually rear end and I’m having trouble with one of the brake drums. (I bought it like this). It has two different brake drums, and on one side the inner dually wheel won’t slide all the way in. The wheel hits a lip on the drum and on the other side no problem, but the drum doesn’t have the lip there. I have looked everywhere trying to find one but everyone I find has the same lip that won’t work. Does anybody know what drum I need?

·
blatant asshole
12,513 Posts
What ever you do dont show us pics of the issues.

Lets start with a few assumptions.

You have gm wheels
You have matching wheel hubs
The axle is not in original form
You have no idea what they should look like.

A side from the problem drum, what else is different from side to side?

Are the drums behind the wheel hubs ?
Are they same profile other than the lip ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Total newbee here. . . But I think i read on this forum that the drum changed style at a certain year. Possibly one of the drums is different from an earlier/ later version. Sorry know its not much to go on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As total newb said, there are a few things that it could be. I'll list the things he didn't write.
The moron before you put on a smaller drum on one side
You said it's a 14 bolt, and the 80's dually's mostly had Dana 70's. It could be an axle from a 90's dually, which if your using the factory wheels, could be the problem. The factory 1 ton drums are 13 inches n diameter, and 3.75 inches wide

·
Registered
46 Posts
As total newb said, there are a few things that it could be. I'll list the things he didn't write.
The moron before you put on a smaller drum on one side
You said it's a 14 bolt, and the 80's dually's mostly had Dana 70's. It could be an axle from a 90's dually, which if your using the factory wheels, could be the problem. The factory 1 ton drums are 13 inches n diameter, and 3.75 inches wide
Bumped the post button before i was finished. You could always put a disc brake conversion on it. 1973-1999 14 Bolt Axle Disc Brake Conversion Kit | Lugnut4x4
Good kit with nice parts for a good price.
Article: How To Convert GM 14-bolt from Drum to Disc Brakes

·
blatant asshole
12,513 Posts
Happen to be working on my truck today so i took some pics of what it SHOULD look like.

14b and d70 use all the same brake and hub parts.

These are gm 16" 88-04 wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not trying to sound stupid, but is a dually brake hub on the side that is hanging up possibly or one for a single rear wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happen to be working on my truck today so i took some pics of what it SHOULD look like.

14b and d70 use all the same brake and hub parts.

These are gm 16" 88-04 wheels. View attachment 3115647 View attachment 3115648 View attachment 3115649
Yes that’s the one I need! Is there a certain year or part number for them?
Not trying to sound stupid, but is a dually brake hub on the side that is hanging up possibly or one for a single rear wheel.
[/QUOTE
No problem, it’s the dually brake drum that is giving me an issue. I have stock 16” wheels on it and they bolt up fine on one side and on the other side, the inner dually wheel can’t go all the way on because it hits the drum. It’s a totally different style then the other side

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes that’s the one I need! Is there a certain year or part number for them?

No problem, it’s the dually brake drum that is giving me an issue. I have stock 16” wheels on it and they bolt up fine on one side and on the other side, the inner dually wheel can’t go all the way on because it hits the drum. It’s a totally different style then the other side
I was just meaning is a srw drum on in place of the dually drum. Dont even know it it would fit. But I"ve seen weirder things.

·
blatant asshole
12,513 Posts
Srw drums can be the same diam but are way shallower.
You cant fit a drw wheel on them because of that. But at the same time, the same size/year srw would leave brake shoe showing.

Putting srw hubs (2" flange difference) and drum would be 4-5" to shallow from the drw backing plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts