Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its not the best thing but,will it work?
were talkin 3/16 1.5x1.5 square stock
any way let me have it if its a stupid?
i dont care just what to be safe! <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
There was guy on the boards named mossberg that had a square cage. Think he used 2" though. Seemed pretty sturdy of a set up. Looked pretty ugly though. I saw him lay it on its side with no damage to it at all.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
It will work, but it's way too heavy...I have a old 40' trailways bus/tow rig that's made from 1.5x1.5x1/8" and it's strong as hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Originally posted by dirtrod:
<STRONG>It will work, but it's way too heavy...I have a old 40' trailways bus/tow rig that's made from 1.5x1.5x1/8" and it's strong as hell.</STRONG>
Gotta see a pic of that tow-rig! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if 3/16 x1.5x1.5 is to heavy you think 1/8 is the way to go or smaller just lookin for opions i know its my rig but dont want to be unsafe <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Originally posted by Cutter:
<STRONG>Gotta see a pic of that tow-rig! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Here's my baby...this is it's best side, right now it's stripped down to the skeleton
for a little rust repair/paint job work and a possible re-power.

<IMG width=435 height=348 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/PIC00009sm.jpg">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Originally posted by alx:
<STRONG>well if 3/16 x1.5x1.5 is to heavy you think 1/8 is the way to go or smaller just lookin for opions i know its my rig but dont want to be unsafe <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
]]

2 x 2 x 1/8 would be better...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
As cheap as round tube is why bother fooling with square, can't be bent cleanly and will look funky - Keep in mind your talking about your HEAD, bite the bullet and do it right. If you need something bent there are lots of us that might help you.

<IMG SRC="smilies/idea.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Sweet rig, DirtRod! Does your rig follow on a trailer, or just ride in the bus? Ya gotta 'nuf room! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your right i can get tubing but the problem lays in the bending of it ?
no one wants the libilty of it !
i know sounds stupid but thats just what they said .
I think ill just hold out till x-mass and buy myself a bender that way im not a square <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> and it will be done right <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">
thats what i get for living in wisconsin
some peoples brains ever thaw <IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Originally posted by Cutter:
<STRONG>Sweet rig, DirtRod! Does your rig follow on a trailer, or just ride in the bus? Ya gotta 'nuf room! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Ya the rig will be on a trailer, this is just the machine shop/parts bin/bunkhouse.
When I'm done it will look like this, weigh about 40,000 lbs., and top out at over 100 mph. : )

<IMG width=600 height=402 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/big_andersen.jpg">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
Originally posted by alx:
<STRONG>your right i can get tubing but the problem lays in the bending of it ?
no one wants the libilty of it !
i know sounds stupid but thats just what they said .
I think ill just hold out till x-mass and buy myself a bender that way im not a square <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> and it will be done right <IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">
thats what i get for living in wisconsin
some peoples brains ever thaw <IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
What do you mean nobody in Wisconsin will bend it for you??
I live in Wisconsin and know of 5 race car fab shops that will bend it for you. Just look in the phone book.
I just had some bent yesterday. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,620 Posts
Here's some interestin info I copied from somewhere else -I am not the authot but it's interesting stuff.

Dirtrod.....you're going to hate this man, so before you get wound up, let me offer a peace offering by saying...your Coach rocks!! That's the coolest tow rig ever....very nice!
--------------------------
In general, any structural member gets stronger in bending and twisting when you get more material farther away from the "neutral axis." Assuming a symmetrical section, the neutral axis can be thought of as the center. A 2" square tube is much stronger than a 2" round tube of the same thickness, because the square tube has a 2" wide flange located 1" from the neutral axis, where the round tube has a flange width of essentially zero at 1" from the center. (Of course, it doesn't hurt any that a 2" square tube actually has more material than a 2" round tube of the same wall thickness.)
Or if you are a physics buff, you can call it "parabolic dissipation" Which is basically just a fancy way of saying that a parabola (something round) will dissipate force over the entire structure rather than any one specific point.
I cast my vote with Eagle. Round tube is stronger in column strength and torsion. Square tube is stronger in beam strength. For a roll cage, the ease of bending makes round the winner. The sweeping bend of a round tube is stronger than the sharp, mitered joint required by square or rectangular tube.
In any case, always triangulate for ultimate strength.
I'm a licensed architect and had several years of structural engineering. If you run the numbers, square tube is stronger than round tube in bending, for the reasons I stated above. But you have to remember that there is more material in a 2" square tube than there is in a 2" round tube of the same wall thickness. The square tube is also stronger in compression and tension, too, but only because of the additional material. Round tube is sometimes easier to work with, and with round tube the strength is always the same in any direction -- there is no diagonal.
Frames aren't made of round tube (Unless you drive a go cart or a motor pickle).
Seriously, the factor you look for in resisting bending is called "section modulus," and for twisting it's "moment of intertia." As one increases, so does the other, but one is by a factor of 3 and the other a factor of 4. For simplicity, let's look just at the section modulus of a 2" tube with a 1/4" wall thickness.
We have a small problem because round tube is designated by inside diameter and square (rectangular) tube is designated by outside dimension, but I'll still go with a 2" nominal round pipe because a 1-1/2" pipe only has an outside diameter of 1.900".
Okay. 2" round pipe, 1/4" wall (actually 0.218): Section modulus = 0.731 inches cubed.
2" square tube, 1/4" wall: Section modulus 0.766 inches cubed. Not a huge difference, but better by about 5%.
The round pipe, however, is stiffer in resisting twist (moment of intertia), as well as being lighter per lineal foot. So it would appear that there is no single "right" answer here -- it depends on what the application is. Rectangular is better to resist bending, round is better to resist twisting.
With rectangular tube, of course, you aren't limited to square. You can choose a deeper tube to stiffen it even more without increasing the weight, if you have the space available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts


I think that's the one you're talking about. AJ at bentup.com created that I believe.

I'm pretty sure tractor cages are made from square tubing as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Originally posted by BillaVista:
<STRONG>

Or if you are a physics buff, you can call it "parabolic dissipation" Which is basically just a fancy way of saying that a parabola (something round) will dissipate force over the entire structure rather than any one specific point.
</STRONG>
Hmmm Bill, that sounds familiar...where do I know that from... That sounds like something I would say... oh wait... I did <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> LOL. It took me a second to remember though.
http://www.naxja.org/bbs/tech.cgi?read=63712
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Thanks for digging that info up BillaVista, thats why I like this board.

It's saving me thousands in college tuition. J/K
:lol
MJ

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Maine Jeepah ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
is that roll cage actually bent like ud bend tube? or is it like a v is cut and then its welded at the right angle kinda like a trailer hitch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
mighty duck said:
is that roll cage actually bent like ud bend tube? or is it like a v is cut and then its welded at the right angle kinda like a trailer hitch?
its welded like a trailer hitch. no bending.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top