Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not quite carnage but nice breakage. Point is I flogged the snot out of this driveshaft and the yoke gave before the tube even broke a sweat. Square tube is strong stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's where I broke, about where that cedar stump is. I was up it then, pop kerclang clang!!!. I would've been the first to make it up this climb if I hadn't broke. Oh well, got first up two other climbs today before this so I guess I pushed my luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What year yoke was that? Ive busted several of them before I realized that it was from using the 83 and under ones. They bind up and bust right there. Actually any and all yokes that I have broke or have seen break are in the same location.
Also duals, or triple cases help minimize the angle too. You did manage to mangle that one though, worst Ive seen!! :eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is(was) an 82 yoke so your theory holds. I run dual cases so that didn't help. No biggie really, I'll just cut that'n off and stuff a later model one down in there, should be good to go. Thanks for the heads up on the older yokes, 408jigga.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No problem. :D Keep in mind, the later the yoke, the better the angle. Marlin recommends 2000+ extracab shortbed yokes, but those are bank. So I stick with any IFS yokes that I can find cheapest. Also, use the 83 cv and stay away from the IFS cv's. IFS cv's have half the angle than the earliers.

Jon

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I bet the u-joint was fine, although you probably lost some caps and needles :laughing: :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
I broke the hell outta my first front square shaft alot like that! Theres no way the square is giving way its gonna be the yoke or joint... As we've proven...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
firbolg said:
Here's where I broke, about where that cedar stump is. I was up it then, pop kerclang clang!!!. I would've been the first to make it up this climb if I hadn't broke. Oh well, got first up two other climbs today before this so I guess I pushed my luck.
fibolg, where you wheeling around Austin? Is that Lakeway? We're heading out to a 5000 acre ranch out past Kerrville next weekend to cut some new trails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts