Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I have had this annoying squealing noise for a while now and am starting to get annoyed. I have just replaced my ilder pulleys thinking they are the culprit which didn't work. The squealing is at idle and is progressive with acceleration. Not sure if it is my fan clutch as it seems to occur more when the engine is torqued up. Do Fan clutches squeal?? or is it my power steering pump or water pump?? :) By the way its a 99 TJ 4L

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take an automotive stethoscope and start poking different components to see where it is coming from. If any sound louder than they should, than that most likely would be the culprit. Another thing to think about is, does it squeal with a/c on or off or does it matter? What kind of condition is your serp. belt in? Is it cracked/ dry-rotting? Could be a culprit as well. Check it out before you go slinging parts at it, unless you got the money to burn.

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have A/C... and I have just changed the serpentine belt last spring. And like most I do not have money to burn... I own a jeep...lol...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have found that usually long before your water pump will seize up the weep hole on the underside of the bearing area will cut loose and you will be out of coolant. The power steering will only seize if it is out of fluid as the fluid is a great lubricator. If the AC goes you are out of refrigerant and getting no cooling. Obviously that would be hard to tell that at this time of year but there is a rubber seal on the center shaft that will leak but tends to not seize up. In you case, my bet would be on the alternator. When the bearings start to go you may not hear much noise from the alternator itself and it may even still be generating juice, but eventually it will become increasingly harder and harder for the belt to turn the pulley causing the belt to be pulled over the pulley creating the squeal. This may account for the fact that when you accelerate it squeals more.

Good Luck

Kriss

PS: Take the belt off and turn the pulley by hand. It should turn freely with no roughness or play. If it turns with any resistance or you can wiggle the pulley around without turning it (Does that make sense?) then you need a new alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't seem to be the altenator.... I changed my serp belt in the spring, but have now been told that is's of lesser quality than others. So the question is... Does the type of belt make a difference?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote: Does the type of belt make a difference?

I would have to say “it could”. With so much being manufactured off shore, tolerances may not be quite the same. Again a “squealing” sounds screams belt to me. It might be worth trading just to see. If not, you at least have a spare on the shelf.

Kriss

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the saga continues... Changed the serp belt with a Mopar one and still have the squeels!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
do you have on board air?
and do you have the v belt off the alt pully?
mine squeals due to no adjustment for it I went to a smaller v belt and it helped but when it gets wet or icy it squeals alot

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would look at all your pulleys. Check to see if any of them look extra shiney almost polished/chromed across their ribs. If you find one the pulley or what it is attached likely is the source. Also take a close look at the grooves themselves. They should look like this VVVV but if they are starting to flatten the points out sort of like this v-v (really exgarrated) the pulley itself is worn out. We see this all the time on alternators. I will see if I can dig up a picture to show what I mean.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree, check for a pulley that out shines the rest that might indicate where the squeal is coming from.

From a logical stand point with a new OEM belt something must be causing it to slip; that something can only be resistance. I would take the belt off again and turn EVERYTHING by hand. There should be no resistance or “coarse” feel to any of the pulleys when turned.

Kriss

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had the belt off I checked all the pulleys and all seemed to be fine? I guess I'll check again. Thanks all! Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts