Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've always parked my junk outside. I hate having to air down my tires completely flat to squeeze it in. Well today I decided to try something different, and it worked:

I used my hi-lift as a clamp and compressed the rear suspension till it cleared. Now it fits without airing down. Sweet....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
heh, good thinking, i still have about 4"s before i have issues getting in to work on it, too bad i bought another car that stays inside tho:p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
If I ever have trouble squeezing through the 10x10 overhead door - I wil know it is time to stop ;) :p

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Bigtoy22 said:
sweet, i just built my garage with an 8ft door instead of the 6ft 7 on most houses.
Best thing I ever did!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
haha.. but lance, when that hilift slips the top of your rig is now gonna be your living room floor!!

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bigger Valves said:
haha.. but lance, when that hilift slips the top of your rig is now gonna be your living room floor!!
It really can't slip - This bolt goes through the hi lift so it can't move/slip.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Dont forget you will need that jack to get OUT of the garage also. Incase you have friends like me, that like to borrow things.

Dan

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i did the nascar impression everytime i wanted in the garage. had a seperate set of 16.5 rims layin next to the garage door. :D

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
that's really cool idea:D

with mine, (not a roll up door, it's the "one piece panel" type of cantilever door with supports and springs on both sides) I cut a slot out of the top track on the right side where the wheel of the door ends in the "door open" position, and cut the right side u-channel support in half.

Bolted a piece of angle iron at the centre of the cut on the right support and when I open the door, I can lever the right side of the door up, the wheel comes up out of the track through the slot, and I wedge a piece of 2x4 between the edge of the door and the track.

This trick would work for a roll up door as well, you would just have to cut slots out of the U-channel for both the front wheel and the rear wheel in order to lift up the door out of that side of it's track.

If maybe this is hard to visualize, just picture yourself looking at the garage door from the outside, after it has been rolled up and is in the open "horizontal" position.

Now imagine one side (left or right, doesn't matter) tilted up as far as it can go before binding the opposing side wheel/s in their track. (there usually is quite a bit of play in these things)

My door gets lifted up by about 4" or so on the one side, and even though it slopes down diagonally to the other side, it was *just* enough for me to squeeze under, if I drive in as far to the right as I can.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
this also like our trick to pass inspection when your bumper height is too high.. just keep your stock shocks and when it's inspection time compress your suspension, bolt on stock shocks to hold it down, and drive easy to the inspection station. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
That's pretty slick, Lance! Same could be done with a fatty ratchet strap too.

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
motorhead72k5 said:
That's pretty slick, Lance! Same could be done with a fatty ratchet strap too.
I tried a ratchet strap first.... I couldn't suck the suspension down far enough with it. A come-along would probably work though.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sheesh, you guys must love to work!! I'm running front and rear winches on my Sidekick, I just leave 'em hooked to the axles and crank 'em in when I get home! The low-radas ain't got nuthin' on me.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Yeah? Well, it looks like your driving sucks, 'cuz you totally aren't lined up at all! No wonder you have to have such a big door!:flipoff2:

Actually, I like having a low door height. Nothing leaves my shop over 7' tall. It encouraged me to get my 'Kick on 38s down to about 6'6" tall.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
this also like our trick to pass inspection when your bumper height is too high.. just keep your stock shocks and when it's inspection time compress your suspension, bolt on stock shocks to hold it down, and drive easy to the inspection station. :flipoff2:
Thats some funny shiat. :flipoff2:

Mine just barely clears, just have to remember not to hit the brakes to hard halfway in/out.

A buddy of mine just put 38s on his Sami (had short 35s). He lives a block from work (at a tire store), so he figured he'd just drive it in with the (very) expired tags instead of messing around with taking in the wheels/tires without the rig. He passed a cop on the way home who was eyeing the Sami pretty close, and as soon as he was out of sight, hightailed it home, hauled ass into the garage, and closed the door. It was only then that he realized he completely forgot to check the clearance, and just happened to get lucky. :eek: :D

Pete

·
Registered
423 Posts
I keep contemplating unbolting the anchors on my garage jacking the whole thing up and putting some 4x6's between the walls and foundation. Kinda like a body lift for the garage. It would give me the extra couple inches i need to fit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts