Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob question: Is there a difference between front D60 axles if the assembly came from a SRW or a DRW application? If so, what is the difference? Just WMS-to-WMS distance? Or is there something else?

I'm in the process of learning more about Chevy-type (i.e., passenger-side drop) D60 front axles. In the process of searching, I stumbled across some cryptic posts to the PBB that make it sound like there is indeed a difference. Previously, I thought the only difference was on the rear axle itself.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The only difference on the GM front D60 is the wheel hubs. The DRW axle has the WMS set farther outboard then the SRW version. Everything else is the same.

·
Registered
110 Posts
typically its only hubs...the fronts have off set and the rear are similar.. in the front all you do is just swap hubs to make single wheel or drw...one advantage of running dually set up is running unmodified h1 rims

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bohot said:
typically its only hubs...the fronts have off set and the rear are similar.. in the front all you do is just swap hubs to make single wheel or drw...one advantage of running dually set up is running unmodified h1 rims
Okay, next noob question: Why can't you use unmodified H1 rims with an SRW-hubbed front axle? Do the rims interfer with the steering or ??

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I don't think the stock push pull type steering arm would have any problems...but most crossover steering arms would have problems. If the axle is going under a full size it would be way to narrow with H1 wheels on a SRW D60. If you are tossing it under a jeep then it should be OK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Narrow is good for my particular application. It's a '91 Toy Xtra Cab. Sky manufacturing makes a full-size spring hanger kit for SAS. I'm thinking that I could run a full-size Chevy D60 up front, and use H1 rims to bring the width back to a reasonable value. I like the idea of not having to hassle with narrowing an axle, and I also like the idea of the H1 beadlocks. But it sounds like using cross-over steering might be a problem. Damn...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts