Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
the pics tim just put up are some of my favorites out of the book-another excellent choice of pics to share with everyone tim:smokin:. the book is filled with early pics from the early jamborees and the work partys fixing the bridge at rubicon springs,pouring the concrete dance floor at the springs as well as the history of the " sid builts"(outhouses at the springs) tim deserves all the credit for this thread and a thank you again for all of the work you have done in order to share some trail history with everyone on pirate. the only thing i have done so far is supply tim with a book and some old pics i took of. our trips in the 70's and 80's. as long as there is interest in this thread tim will probably continue to share pics with everyone.one thing tim can count on - as a thank you for your time scanning/posting the pics so everyone here can enjoy them-when my time has come you will inheret (sp?) the jamboree book-i can't take it with me and i know it will be in good hands in its new home at tim's house:)

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Sid S Mainwaring

This morning's edition:

Those of you that have been fortunate enough to travel past the "Little Sluice Box";) May have seen "Sid's Grave".

Here's a little background.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Great post and a great guy! Dave helped my buddy drill out and fix his high steer and the first FOTR work day this year. Dave made my buddys day.

·
16,230 Posts
One question, though... the text says:
"Passing such colorful spots as ... Bisbee (Lake)." - Walt Drysdale '57
I'm a sponge for details about the Rubicon -- I love learning, and especially talking to the older fellas with many decades of jeepin' the Sierra... I know where Bixby Lake is (well, was),
I have been going over maps looking for it.

I found "Bixby" listed as "Bigsby" Lake on a 1937 map I found... but yeah, they didn't go that way.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
I have been going over maps looking for it.

I found "Bixby" listed as "Bigsby" Lake on a 1937 map I found... but yeah, they didn't go that way.
I've heard it called both Bisbee and Bixby, but never Bigsby...for those who don't know where it is/was, it's now under Loon (I'll see you at RBS for my :beer:). In 1957 it would have still been there, I think, right?...Loon wasn't rebuilt and the water level raised until the 1960's.

Just talked to Rich Daniels on the phone...he says that in 1957 the Jamboree went through Wentworth, and didn't start going through Loon until the seventies. His first Jamboree was 1956.

·
Registered
670 Posts
dear ole dave, my adopted father when im on the trail:D he has saved my ass and tommy mossbergs more times than i can count!!
always enjoyed wheeling with you paul-but i thought oops was your 1st adopted father and i am supposed to be a surrogate father when he is to busy to accompany you on a trail run!!!! missed wheeling with you this year paul. next summer for sure........

·
Registered
670 Posts
I originally met Dave with my Dad when I was on leave from the Army. Have been freinds ever since and wheeled many a times..........

Hope to do it again soon!
it was good seeing you at the little sluice work party weekend kevin. great group of people to spend the weekend with! hope to spend some time with you next year at a clean-up/work party.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great post and a great guy! Dave helped my buddy drill out and fix his high steer and the first FOTR work day this year. Dave made my buddys day.
yep-i remember that morning-usually don't get that much grease / dirt on me before breakfast but he needed help. as i recall you,your friend,me,josh(rock sammy) and my friends eddie and ken who was riding with me all helped out to get him fixed so he could participate in the work partys that day. it was a good weekend for me-got to meet a lot of very cool people. see you next year at a work party/clean-up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here's the map from 1937.

hand-drawn so I could see where it could be an error:

kurt and john and posting some really cool historical stuff about rubicon adding to the trail history stuff tim is posting up - thread is getting better as people share things they know about rubicon! don't be bashful-if anyone has some history/early trail pics/ etc. regarding the con please share it with everybody here!!! o.k. enough talking-back to the pics if tim has some spare time to post a few for everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I've heard it called both Bisbee and Bixby, but never Bigsby...for those who don't know where it is/was, it's now under Loon (I'll see you at RBS for my :beer:). In 1957 it would have still been there, I think, right?...Loon wasn't rebuilt and the water level raised until the 1960's.

Just talked to Rich Daniels on the phone...he says that in 1957 the Jamboree went through Wentworth, and didn't start going through Loon until the seventies. His first Jamboree was 1956.
could you explain this stuff about loon and the lakes that seem to have surounded it......loon was rebuilt? from what?

I NEED TO KNOW!:D

i love stuff like this!

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
could you explain this stuff about loon and the lakes that seem to have surounded it......loon was rebuilt? from what?
Earliest maps show four lakes: Loon, Pleasant, Mary, and Bixby. Those merged into two lakes (Loon and Pleasant) and then finally into one: Loon Lake. I have a timeline I put together for another project...

California Water Company (CWC) built a series of dams at Gerle Creek, some of which eventually raised the level of Loon Lake so that it at least partially inundated Mary and Bixby Lakes:
* 1874: CWC built a 'trial' 9-foot high log dam at Gerle Creek (http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/gerlecreek.htm)
* ????: CWC replaced trial dam with a 20' tall log dam
* 1881-1882: CWC used Chinese labor to rebuild log dam with hand-quarried granite blocks and earthen fill
There were some miscellaneous raisings, repairs, and flashboardings in between, but I think those were the major dates for pre-SMUD dam efforts. Pleasant and Bixby were dammed in this time range, and their impound was allowed to flow into Loon. There's some disagreement in the old maps between what is Quail Lake and what is Mary's Lake, but I like this one best (map linked to www.GerleCreek.com):

Sacramento Municipal Utility Department (SMUD) came in big in the early 1900s, and raised the level of Loon Lake so that it flooded into Pleasant Lake:
* 1957: Federal Power Commission licenses SMUD for UARP Gerle Dam at Loon Lake (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/project/proj_his.htm)
* 1962: SMUD dismantles old CWC dam (http://ca.water.usgs.gov/archive/waterdata/98/11429500.html)
* 1963: Construction of the Loon Lake Dam, Auxiliary Dam, and Dike (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/docs/iip/iip_c.pdf )
- - also: construction of the Rubicon Dam, Auxiliary Dam, and Reservoir
- - also: construction of the Rubicon Rockbound Tunnel
- - also: construction of the Buck Island Dam and Auxiliary Dam
- - also: cConstruction of the Buck Island-Loon Lake Tunnel
* 1971: Construction of the Loon Lake Power Tunnel, Penstock, Powerhouse, Transmission Line, and Tailrace Tunnel (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/docs/iip/iip_c.pdf )

Much of this information is gleaned from http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/gerlecreek.htm, which is a great source of history and maps (like the one Kurt posted) and a wonderful way to blow a few days of free-reading! Other bits of it come from the FERC 50-year hydro relicensing of the Upper American River Project (of which Loon and Buck Island Lakes are parts).

Great reading... and there are about ten other lakes within easy walking distance of the trail with great history!

Randii

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks Randi,
What a great read:) I will be finishing that up tonight. This thread is really coming together.:smokin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks Randi,
What a great read:) I will be finishing that up tonight. This thread is really coming together.:smokin:
tim's post sums it up nicely-thank you for sharing randy!. i believe the jamboree book mentions the cabins at buck island-i don't recall it being as comprehensive as the links you shared with us-thank you. if i ever make it to a rubicon bull session your first beer is on me:D

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
tim's post sums it up nicely-thank you for sharing randy!. i believe the jamboree book mentions the cabins at buck island-i don't recall it being as comprehensive as the links you shared with us-thank you. if i ever make it to a rubicon bull session your first beer is on me:D
It does, you read my mind:) I will post up that chapter tonight.

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Dave, your continued support for the trail by 'wheeling it, repairing folks on it, working on it, fundraising for it, and talking about it sets a fine example, and a high bar indeed. I'll share beers with you and Tim any time, but it'll be a battle to see who can slap the cash down fast enough to buy! :beer:

I have been lucky enough to meet Dick Wentworth and his mom, and talk with them about the old days. Dick essentially grew up in Wentworth Springs and spent his youth and teens on the trail (lucky!) and had some great stories about Vic Wikander and the islands and the Rubicon in general. I spent an afternoon with them just listening to tales from the past -- it was a GREAT day! There's some more discussion about Wikander on www.GerleCreek.com and here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611550&highlight=wikander -- I'd sure LOVE to have Mr. Wikander show me the highlights of his island, back in the day!

This is a fun thread -- thanks again Tim and Dave!

Randii

61 - 80 of 192 Posts