Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
DID I miss something????what book is this? ans where can you get a copy?
Jeepers Jamboree: The First Thirty Years, by Peg Presba

You can't...well, it's a real collector's item. I've seen them go for two hundred on eBay. If anybody's got a copy they want to make a little cash on, PM me!

I have her second book that covers the next ten years (31st to 40th), but haven't been able to get the first one.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dave, your continued support for the trail by 'wheeling it, repairing folks on it, working on it, fundraising for it, and talking about it sets a fine example, and a high bar indeed. I'll share beers with you and Tim any time, but it'll be a battle to see who can slap the cash down fast enough to buy! :beer:

I have been lucky enough to meet Dick Wentworth and his mom, and talk with them about the old days. Dick essentially grew up in Wentworth Springs and spent his youth and teens on the trail (lucky!) and had some great stories about Vic Wikander and the islands and the Rubicon in general. I spent an afternoon with them just listening to tales from the past -- it was a GREAT day! There's some more discussion about Wikander on www.GerleCreek.com and here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611550&highlight=wikander -- I'd sure LOVE to have Mr. Wikander show me the highlights of his island, back in the day!

This is a fun thread -- thanks again Tim and Dave!

Randii
you are a lucky man! not to many old timers left to share history like that with us-i would have loved to have been there with you listening to his tales from the past.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Buck Island Lake

Well if we keep up at this rate, maybe we will get the whole book scanned. Trouble is I start scanning but have to stop and read:) Hard book to put down:D

With all the talk of Lakes and Cabins on said lake thought this would be a good chapter for tonight:

A side note on the scans: I'm fully aware of the piss poor job I'm doing of the descreen (Moire) but for the sake of speed I put a rough script together to batch process.

If a certain picture grabs anyones attention and they would like to see a better repro let me know and I will see what I can do.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
always enjoyed wheeling with you paul-but i thought oops was your 1st adopted father and i am supposed to be a surrogate father when he is to busy to accompany you on a trail run!!!! missed wheeling with you this year paul. next summer for sure........
your right dave, you are my trail mother:flipoff2: annual week long trail(s) vacation deal is still on..we can invite eddie and vova instead since jons truck is defunct

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Earliest maps show four lakes: Loon, Pleasant, Mary, and Bixby. Those merged into two lakes (Loon and Pleasant) and then finally into one: Loon Lake. I have a timeline I put together for another project...

Randii

that is some amazing info thanks for sharing that...... i see a few hours at least looking at this stuff:smokin:

so was loon a natural lake from the begining just alot smaller?

·
Registered
670 Posts
very interesting. I have 'Book II' from Ms. Presba. It's a total 178 pages but the pages and pix in my book do not correspond with the above pix. Still, a very cool, retro read. The Book II says "The first 40 years..." and is hardcover published in 1992.

Here's a link for one: mine is missing the cool dust cover... :(

http://www.moonsbooksonline.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2821&CLSN_2838=12468022572838e60417d1b224ebc0cf
i have not seen a example of book 2 but i would like to own one some day. book 1 is titled the first 30 years and is 400+ pages. published in 1984 i believe. any chance you could scan and share some pics with everybody mark?

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
SSD: I don't have a scanner, but nevertheless, i'm hesitant to do so with copyrighted material. hummmmm....... gotta think about this, but likely not. Sorry... Now, if I loaned it out i cannot control what happens... so PM me.

mb

·
Registered
670 Posts
SSD: I don't have a scanner, but nevertheless, i'm hesitant to do so with copyrighted material. hummmmm....... gotta think about this, but likely not. Sorry... Now, if I loaned it out i cannot control what happens... so PM me.

mb
thanks for the offer mark-but i managed to purchase book #2 on line thanks to you:D. hope to meet you on a trail next summer!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
what great history of this trail and the love we have for it...dave ,did your son get a wheeler yet?? i have a box of pics of paul, some good ones of tommy , you, jon hodel ,jon wolfe, ben sweeny and and the clan from seven years ago ,dont have a way to scan them but there are alot of good ones!! anyways im working on my stuff ,when im done we have to make a trip soon and ill bring them with me ...great thread dave cj

·
Registered
670 Posts
hmmm-i'm not sure but is this c.j. that owned a toyota truck and was with us memorial day during my "weldfest"? if so good to hear from you-long time no see!!!!:D. does anybody feel sharing some old pics/trail history with us? lots of good stuff has been posted up! love the links randy posted up-spent a lot of time looking at all the historical pics. the liddecoat family pics in the late 40's are great-great pics of the rubicon springs hotel.....

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Here's a picture of the downstream side of the old dam taken about a year before I went on my first trip.

The lake side of the dam.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Rubicon Trail 1926 & '28

Here's a great Chapter from the book. I'm sure we all have a sense of great achievement every time we cross the Rubicon, I know I do. Knowing that feeling only makes me appreciate even more so what our "Wheeling predecessors" most have experienced and felt. Sure the trail has changed over the years but even taking that in to account, things like this just make me go "Wow":smokin:

And just in case you didn't catch it the first time, have a read about the "Stubborn Flivver"

·
Registered
670 Posts
thanks for your pics of the loon lake dam rockcrusher! good stuff. and thanks for posting more cool stuff out of my/your book tim! anybody have have any old trail pics/historical pics they would like to share with all of us? many people have made some great contributions to this thread with pics/ trail history/history of the areas surrounding the rubicon trail.thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was doing research on my husband's family and googled Presba and found this way cool and interesting thread on the Jamboree Books.

Two of the biggest thrills in my life included compiling these two books. If you will look hard, you will see that it is a compilation of many people's thoughts and experiences on the trail. I quoted everyone who I could find, from first hand interviews, to the 4x4 magazines that recorded the event through the years and every other source I could contact.

The Jamboree story belongs to every Jeeper who ever had the awe inspiring experience of hitting the Rubicon Trail. Our forefathers' stories ring with the thrill they found in its pristine beauty and challenge of crossingt , the same thrill we still find today, and not just on the first trip, but everytime we get the opportunity to run the route.

The book is copyrighted by the Jeepers Jamboree, but as long as you don't copy the entire book in one place, you should be able to do as you are doing. Copyright law says you can only copy small portions and always site the source...

I would like to thank you for all the very nice comments you made on the book. It really made my evening to see how much this book is still appreciated.

Anytime you need help on compiling a new one (book), look me up in Oakley, Idaho. My heart will always belong to the Rubicon Trail and I will support any venture in preserving its history!!!

Peg Presba

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Was doing research on my husband's family and googled Presba and found this way cool and interesting thread on the Jamboree Books.

Two of the biggest thrills in my life included compiling these two books. If you will look hard, you will see that it is a compilation of many people's thoughts and experiences on the trail. I quoted everyone who I could find, from first hand interviews, to the 4x4 magazines that recorded the event through the years and every other source I could contact.

The Jamboree story belongs to every Jeeper who ever had the awe inspiring experience of hitting the Rubicon Trail. Our forefathers' stories ring with the thrill they found in its pristine beauty and challenge of crossingt , the same thrill we still find today, and not just on the first trip, but everytime we get the opportunity to run the route.

The book is copyrighted by the Jeepers Jamboree, but as long as you don't copy the entire book in one place, you should be able to do as you are doing. Copyright law says you can only copy small portions and always site the source...

I would like to thank you for all the very nice comments you made on the book. It really made my evening to see how much this book is still appreciated.

Anytime you need help on compiling a new one (book), look me up in Oakley, Idaho. My heart will always belong to the Rubicon Trail and I will support any venture in preserving its history!!!

Peg Presba
Wow...All I can say is Thank you for putting together such a wonderful jewel of a book that displays the history of "our" Trail in such a beautiful way. It truly has been a pleasure to read and a great way to share such wonderful history with all fellow "wheelers".

Thanks again Peg.
Tim.

81 - 100 of 192 Posts