Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
thank you peg for your reply on this thread and the two books you put together documenting the history of the rubicon and the areas around it as well as the history of the jeepers jamboree.great books-i own a set. do you have the time to share with us any stories you may have regarding your efforts gathering the pictures and stories for the books? any jamboree storys?anything you shared would be appreciated by all of us on pirate 4x4.thank you again for all the time you spent on the books so we have a "history book" for the rubicon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave and Friends on this thread:
I love to share stories of the Rubicon and of the "Book Experience" and yes I have several that weren't part of the book itself.
I called it the most censored - uncensored book ever written, because of all the wonderful stories I heard from the Jeepers Jamboree Committee members themselves and other I interviewed for the book. They would start telling these wonderful stories, and then say..."But don't print this.." or "Don't ever tell anyone I said this..." and then laugh. Of course the stories always had to do with one of the many, many jokes the guys played on each other and didn't ever want to be known as the "one who did it" or the "one behind the mischief."
They (the Original Committee Men) spent a lot of time setting up and planning tricks and surprises on each other...that is how the Cave Men and Gorillas became a permanent part of the trail scenery on the Jeepers Jamboree runs. They (the OCM) had gotten such a kick out of scaring each other, they started adding it as a "trail sight" and everyone loved it. Still do!!!
As I write this I can still hear the echoes of laughter from the late Jack Warner, as he told his tales of mischief along the trail. I'm convinced that the best part of running the Rubicon Trail is the telling of the tale when we get home and share the past experiences with friends. Of course it is tradition that the stories get bigger and better with the telling. AND that is a FACT!
It has been years since I have actually done any research or interviews, but out in my barn I still have the original tape recorded interviews from the 1980's I made of each of the Jamboree Committeemen and their families, and will take the time to dig them out and see what unwritten stories I might be able to find. [We lost our home and several file cabinets of my collected history in 2002, but I know much of the Jamboree stuff is still in the barn]
I'm looking forward to reading other stories on this thread and will share as I can and if others are really interested, I tend to get "wordy" once I get going.
And, Tim, I agree, it is "Our Trail," and a lot of people have worked hard and continue to work hard to keep it that way!

·
The dude abides
1,350 Posts
Don't tell me this thread is over?!!!!!!! I want more.The history of this trail is amazing!!I can't beleive they used to take a model T all the way to tahoe!I guess it would have to be a (special clearenced car) to make it up cadilac...Un real!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
well-i know tim has been very busy deer tick-maybe if he has the spare time-and enough people post up showing some interest in seeing more pics out peg's book-he might scan and share some more with every body here. i personally would love to see anything that peg would be willing to share picture wise or story wise regarding the rubicon/jeepers jamboree.in the 70's and eightys i met many of the lake taho hi lo's and some of them were part of the jamboree crews-ron brokaw,jim adams,harvy,jim stephens etc. they were a great group and a lot of fun to sit around a campfire with. also met doc bliss-all around nice guy and the reason i can share pics of the studebakers in the small sluice and the studebakers parked in front of the rubicon springs hotel.over the years many people have donated time,money,and lots of work in support of the rubicon jeep trail.pegs book documents a lot of their efforts with pictures and captions describing what is happening.their is also lots of pics of the hijinks that went on during the jamboree. i would like to offer up a e-toast to all that came before us,all the present day volunteers and all the future volunteers for their support of the rubicon trail-it is a tradition that i hope will continue for many decades into the future!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Snow

Sorry guys and gals about the break in the action here. I've been slammed at work and just had to get away this past weekend:) We had our first real snow storm come in over the weekend and someone needed to be up there to check on it:smokin:

I'll post some more from the book over the Thanks giving break, I finally get a few days off. Meanwhile here's some of what we saw this weekend:)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
i hpoe dave didn't break anything:D
Not this time:). He's practically rebuilt the whole thing from ground up, looking good now. "King Kong" stayed at camp most of the weekend.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Dave, Curly and Peg,
Thanks for all this. Very cool stuff for a old schooler like me. It makes me spend more thought on documenting what we are doing today too.
Keep it coming please.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
"Diary of our mountain trip 1893"

Okay back to the book. Here's a very cool chapter. While not discussing all things "Jeep" this is a very interesting read.

Take the time to read it:)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
well after keeping up with this tread over the last few weeks and checking out all the cool pics and history, i would like to thank everyone for dusting off all the pics and story's about the historic Rubicon trail. i have met a bunch of great people over the years and look forward to meeting more. i was fascinated with the gerlecreek.com website and the cool history of the water shed, cabins, and use of the water to produce power. and this thread comes up and like others im looking forward to the next pic of story. i am excited to see that the original author of the jamboree books has stumbled upon this thread have may offer even more incite of days passed on the Rubicon.

and dave, the famous weld fest you speak of has made a lot of strangers become friends. that was a cool trip.

cliff

·
Registered
670 Posts
hi cliff-how you been? need to get to get together with you and the guys for a snow run. hope you enjoyed all the pics every one has posted up concerning the con. i would love to see a post and some pics with a story from peg :)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Snow

Finishing up some pics for Dave and came across these beauties:D With the snow flying in the Sierra seemed kind of appropriate to post these up. I'll let Dave tell the story behind this trip (Circa 1983).

Couple of pics:

Rest of the pics here:
http://gallery.me.com/greentwins1#100347

·
Registered
670 Posts
believe it or not- on july4th of 1983-my friend don and i as well as his brother-in-law john were the 1st vehicles to make it to small sluice/spider lake-it was still snowbound!!!!. we had to use don's chainsaw just past pirate's winter camp to remove the ice on the r.h.side of the trail so don would not damage/rip his windshield frame . never saw any tracks in front of us-it was a very severe winter. when we got to gerle creek their was 30+ rigs parked and all you could see was snow! everybody had parked and were trying to decide if they should attempt to go any farther.since don and i were single at the time a replay of the donner party fiasco did not deter us from our mission of making it to spider lake:laughing:this trip was done on 30"-33 " tires.old skool rigs for sure.nowdays with 39",40",42",44" tires etc. that trip would be ran to spider and back to wentworth/loon in less than a day.hope everybody enjoyed this thread-you need to thank tim for all the effort he has put into it! see you guys on the trail next summer. this thread is finished for now unless peg presba has anything to share with us or anyone else on pirate has pics/storys to share. see you on the trail next summer.....................

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
The reason Scout Hole is called Scout Hole

I have a good friend that Dave knows pretty well too. He brought me a bunch of pictures he took on a trip with Dave in August of 1984. This is one of them. The Scout was removed (I think by the El Dorado Jeepherders or Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's in the Summer of 1988), but to many, the hole still retains its name.

Hey Dave, is it OK if I put up some more? I'll have a disc for you the next time I see you, either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
hi john- yes if you have some pictures you want to post up and share with everybody please do!!!. i'm pretty sure i know who supplied you with the pics. tell him if he goes to page 1 of this thread the first set of pics tim scanned and posted has a pic of him standing in the swimming hole at rubicon springs with don and steve while i took the picture! he was 16 at the time.i am very proud of him and glad he is related to me!!!!!!.he has done very well for himself and his family..........

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Of course you know who it is! I have the pleasure of working with not one, but two of Dave's cousins. They're cut from the same cloth as Dave, great guys. Dave took them wheeling a fair bit when they were kids, and Steve brought in some pictures to share with us. I'll post them a few at a time with the captions put in the original album.

The front of the album has this inscription:

In July of 1984 I went on a 4 wheelin’ trip with Dave, Don, and Steve for a week. We had the trail, the lakes, and even the forest to ourselves. We got rained on twice, but that didn’t matter, we all had a terrific time. Dave is such an exceptional guy. I’m glad he’s my cousin.
These two pics were labeled, "On our way!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Looks like Dave sprung for some new rims between '83 and '84:smokin:

Cool to see more pics, let's keep this going:) Great history.
See you guys tomorrow:D

101 - 120 of 192 Posts