Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
OK, Tim, here ya go...

Our first camp at Spider Lake. No one was up there, it was great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Beautiful up here, but it rained a few times as you can see by the clouds.

Cool...vintage 1984 double rainbow if you look close.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
The road wasn’t easy, as you can see from Steve’s driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
please thank steve for sharing his photo album with all of us john! those pics are 1/4 century old! that makes me old!!!:laughing:. steves rig was a old skool classic-71 cj5-225 buick v-6 t-18 4 speed dana 18 t case. dana 27 front dana 44 rear (offset for the t-case) powerlocks front and rear and g.m. power steering.i helped him a little on his build of his c.j. he still owns it-it sits in his garage with approx 15,000 miles on it since it was built with every thing brand new at the time! been many years since that jeep has visited the rubicon.now days everybody would laugh at what we considered a built rig 25 + years ago:D regarding my cousin steve-i'm going to twist his arm a little bit and see if he would like to see the con again next year if he has the time to do so. still hope peg presba will share some stories/pics with everybody..........

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a great history of the trail! I was lucky enough this summer to drive the Rubicon and completely enjoyed it. The truck didn't come out looking as nice as when it went in, but what a blast. It is cool to see trucks with tires even smaller than my 32's pushing thru the trail. Thanks to all the people putting time and effort into keeping peoples memories alive.

Derek

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm lovin the history of the rubicon, and the pictures. Its crazy how much the trail has changed. Thanks for putting up the pictures Tim and Dave for opening his photo album. Also Steve.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Don and Jim going through one of the water holes.

Sorry, got busy and didn't post for a day or so...here's the next one:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
This guy tried to go through a deep water hole.

He finally had to be towed out when he was about ten feet further forward and water was coming into the cab.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
He finally had to be towed out when he was about ten feet further forward and water was coming into the cab.
John, This won't do at all! I think we need to install some "Rolling Dips":D

·
Registered
670 Posts
:D
i was there when the toyota was playing a round of "submarine commander" in the waterhole at rubicon springs. the worst thing that happened was not the fact that they got their socks and shoes wet or that they were stuck. look closely and you will see a c.b. radio coming out of the dash next to the passenger-it had been mounted under the dash on the drivers side of the toyota.it got submerged under water before he realized what was happening!!!. he removed it and held it up to allow all that muddy water to drain out of the speaker area-the look on his face was priceless:laughing: he then handed it to his passenger who opened the glovebox of the toyota and placed it there to dry while the figured out who was going swimming to attach a tow strap to the rig!!!!. ahhhh.....the good old days :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its crazy how much the trail has changed.
I was thinking just the opposite. Judging by the photos that I have seen, I don't think that the trail has changed all that much. I am by no means a Rubicon Trail "expert", but I can picture where many of those photos were taken and I don't see a lot of difference between then and now. One of my favorite things when running the trail is imagining folks 20, 30, or 40+ years ago, traversing it with their friends and families in their Jeeps and enjoying it as much as I do with my wife/kids/friends. ...I love the fact that the trail is so rich in history and virtually unchanged for so many years.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
One of my favorite things when running the trail is imagining folks 20, 30, or 40+ years ago, traversing it with their friends and families in their Jeeps and enjoying it as much as I do with my wife/kids/friends. ...I love the fact that the trail is so rich in history and virtually unchanged for so many years.
I agree, well said:smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Here's a couple for Dave. Not so much trail history but showing we still get the old little ones out on the trail once and a while.

See Dave the old Ross steering holds up just fine.:eek: and I told you, Heidi loves driving this one more than mine, just look at her face in the first pic.

Talk soon,
Tim.

·
Registered
670 Posts
great pics tim! 80" wheelbase rigs went the way of the dinosaurs-i'm still running one-but it is not very practical!!!. if you ever need parts for your stocker you know who to talk to. talked to steve "b" tonight and directed him to this thread-he owns the powder blue 71 c5j that is in this thread-we both agreed we are old old skool guys.... i guess the next step is white canes and trained dogs to help us find our way:laughing: all kidding aside some of the best people i've ever met were trail users. john a has the 1st book by peg presba in his posession now.hope he enjoys looking through it-it is 400+ pages of rubicon history! maybe if he sees something interesting-he might scan and post up pics like you did tim! john is a very busy guy too! if he has some spare time with the scanner-that would be cool-if not-it is o.k.-he has a lot of responsibilities that come 1st. i would like to thank everyone here for sharing your pics/links/personal experiances regarding the rubicon trail.:smokin: if anyone has some more old pics/history/storys to share please do!!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I was thinking just the opposite. Judging by the photos that I have seen, I don't think that the trail has changed all that much. I am by no means a Rubicon Trail "expert", but I can picture where many of those photos were taken and I don't see a lot of difference between then and now. One of my favorite things when running the trail is imagining folks 20, 30, or 40+ years ago, traversing it with their friends and families in their Jeeps and enjoying it as much as I do with my wife/kids/friends. ...I love the fact that the trail is so rich in history and virtually unchanged for so many years.
I totally agree. Lately it seems like we have new group of people that think we need to "fix" things on the trail. :shaking:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I really enjoy this thread, and want to thank you for taking the time to share these awesome pics w/ us!!

Looking forward to more updates for sure...

121 - 140 of 192 Posts