Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about mounting my exhaust system directly to my x-members and frame. To do this Ill need a Flexable joint to alow the engine to move and the exhaust to stay put.
Has anyone done this to a toyota? If so are there any "flex joints" made for another car that will fit my 84 Toyota?
I don't want to spend the $$$ for a custom one made.

Click here to see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
flex joint

most front wheel drive cars that have the motor mounted sideways have flex joints.
problem with getting one from a junk yard is finding the right size and one that isnt old n leaky.
Best thing to do is go to a local exhaust place and they should be able to get you a new one.

Another option is some trucks(as in big rigs Mack etc) use a flexable pipe that is a bit different. sort of interlocked spiral stuff... hard to explain. The truck stuff doesnt flex as well but is cheaper I think.
BTW Im putting a flex joint on my yota soon to because its diesel and it vibrates the fawk outa my exhaust.

Paul.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
How durable is that stuff? I've seen it before in JCWhitney, but figured it was just a band-aid solution and wouldn't last.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Benny said:
I "heard" that some Hondas have a piece like this from the factory. Go to the local junk yard and take a look.
Both my 79 and 90 Accord had them!! Damn now you got me thinkin!!!!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
mine has been in there for a few years. no problems. i think it was kinda expensive though. cant remember but like $100.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The stuff is very durable, it's used by many oem's these days, not just Hondas. If I remember correctly, the regular grade from Jagco has the stainless inner flex 'bellows' with the braided overlay. The premium may have an inner 3rd layer which helps smooth exhaust flow and increases the durability further.... you'll have to ask Jagco, as I don't recall, I've purchased both from them, but it has been some years since.

Oh yeah... be careful when useing older stuff, it does have a life cycle, and I am guessing it sort of developes a, what would you call that?....well, lets say it takes a 'set' or it has been heated and cooled and bent one way many times and may not like the new life you give to it. It can split inside where it is hard to detect... until it's already on your truck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Funny, I just saw this on Trucks! yesterday on TNN.

They've got a 67-72 Chevy 2WD P/U they're roddin out.
Anyway, they used this BIG piece of flex like the pics above, and hard mounted the rest of the exhaust thru a couple of crossmembers and mounted the tailpipes right along the back end of the frame. Nice install. None of it hung below the frame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts