Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need something around a 300 or dana 20 size with 32 spline out puts, 3.00 something in gears and hell wile i'm at it maybe Stak can make it a 3 speed, Atlas make it a 4 speed. and Alumn. case to help keep the weight down.
the only thing i have broken in my dana 20 is an out put shaft but i have taken it easy because of the small size. if one of the aftermarket company's would improve a smaller case in the right areas (gearing, material, weight, price etc.) i think it would sell big time. not everyone is running big blocks, military axles and 5,000 lbs.
the size of the Stak 3 speed is crazy big to go in a 4,000 lbs buggy IMO.
i have seen that Stak is making a case for the innerds of a 300 but why not make the hole case? i would love to see a smaller 3 speed case from Stak or a 4 speed mini from Atlas.
WELL?

steelman

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
An Atlas and STAK are both dimensionally fairly small, and only marginally larger than a d300. Consider that an Atlas was made to be a direct replacement originally for a d300 and hence, also fit where a d300 went. What you're asking for will never be made because the niche would be so small that no one could sell enough to make money. That's like asking for an SUV with a soft top that is larger than a Samurai but smaller then a CJ5 but stronger than a F-350. If you're not breaking a d20, just stay with it or get a d300. I can strip out a set of gears in a d300 pretty easy though.

J. J.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
you realize all the shit you want takes up space.... right?? :shaking: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i need something around a 300 or dana 20 size with 32 spline out puts, 3.00 something in gears and hell wile i'm at it maybe Stak can make it a 3 speed, Atlas make it a 4 speed. and Alumn. case to help keep the weight down.
the only thing i have broken in my dana 20 is an out put shaft but i have taken it easy because of the small size. if one of the aftermarket company's would improve a smaller case in the right areas (gearing, material, weight, price etc.) i think it would sell big time. not everyone is running big blocks, military axles and 5,000 lbs.
i have seen that Stak is making a case for the innerds of a 300 but why not make the hole case? i would love to see a smaller 3 speed case from Stak or a 4 speed mini from Atlas.
WELL?

steelman

so whats wrong with the new stak replace-a-case 300 again?

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Trouble is - smaller = weaker - especially with gears.

Small gears gets you this:

Now look at this:

Take the doubler off the Dana20, and the range box off the Atlas-4SP, and you're left with a Dana20 next to an Atlas - the size difference is all but negligable - especially when you consider the performance of the Atlas.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the Atlas case size is not really "negligible" the Atlas will not even come close to fitting in a early bronco frame rails. they need to hang down below the frame. to look at them sitting on the floor they may look close to the same size but a few inches takes up a lot of space. the Stak is even larger. i know they make a "B" box for the bronco i just don't like the "hang down" they have.

like i said i think there is a market for a smaller case from both the company's. the way i see it how can a case be idel to both a 4 seat, 52 inch tired, 454, with Militarys, and 6,000 lbs. and a 2 seat, small block, on 40's and 3,800lbs? there needs to be a box that is only big as needed, and as strong as needed.
if there is a market for a case that uses 300 parts in a stronger case then how can you say there is no market for a "hole case"?
i don't have an old 300, and there is still a need to buy newer parts. output shafts, seals, bearings, lower gears.etc.
i would rather just buy a case of a smaller size. assuming the price is within reason.
steelman

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
in due time, when stak gets off their asses with the replace-a-case project, that will be the tcase you're looking for. i'd guess thats going to be available way before either company goes and designs a completely new case as you described. i believe stak even stated they would sell complete cases when they are available. i'll probably buy the stak 300 shell when it becomes available, if it ever becomes available.

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
The closest thing to what you are asking for is a 4:1 D300 with 32 spline outputs. This is the case I run. After purchasing a used D300 and everything else new you are right at the price of an Atlas.
You have three options when choosing a t-case:

Cheep
Strong
Small

You can only have two...

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Get a 300 case, then drop dime on the 4:1 gears from Lomax, add in 32 spline outputs from Novak or AA, then wait on the Stak case or build a case girdle (search for Tricounty gear D18 stuff), finally, add in a case flip kit if needed. You'll end up with a case thats not quite as strong as an atlas, cost just as much, and only saved you a trivial bit of space. If you cant have a completely flat skid, then so be it, the strength to price ratio is in favor of the atlas or stack. If you aren't breaking your xcase now, then get a D300, wheel it and upgrade as necessary, spreading the cost out over time, but it still wont be as strong as the AA or Stack in the end.\

This is coming from someone with a flipped 300 case with 32 spline outputs front and rear. My heep had the parts when I got it, if I was doing it from scratch, the 300 wouldn't get a second thought, a 4 speed atlas would be sitting there. Since I'm already in it this far, maybe down the line a Klune will find a home in front of it, or some Lomax gears. Have to wheel it first to see how the gear ratios work out first.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Here is a shot of my a Early Bronco 20 beside a Atlas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just measured and it's about 4.25".

I've seen one in an EB and there's plenty of room to clock it up, not above the frame rails, but the stock case hangs down below the rails a bit anyways.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Just measured and it's about 4.25".
I can measure where the 3spd B box is sitting next week, but there's still room to clock it up more. Seems to be the best choice for what he's looking for and working within the EB frame.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
WELL?

steelman
Sounds like you want "the peanut". It was our first prototype of the Atlas. Should I bore you with history?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts