Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would toss this in the newbie section but I figure it is Toyota specific. So I have what I believe to be a 79 pickup with a 20r. I have replaced loads this winter while it is down and of those things was the clutch, flywheel. When I went to start it a week ago it had a bad clunking coming from the trans bell housing area. Come to find out it was the starter gear slipping on the flywheel teeth. I ordered a new starter and put it in today and it still does it. Not as bad mind you. But it didn't so it at all before. Shimming out wouldn't help anything I imagine, due to the fact that it isn't engaging all the way as it is. The only thing I can think is the prior owner told me it was an 83 so I ordered my flywheel/clutch for an 83. which I know every 20r/22r share flywheels but not clutches. It is an L43 with a 20r so I just don't know anymore. The clutch shouldn't interfere with the starter engaging. And it shifts and drives fine. I give up guys. Load me up with shit I don't know about Toyotas, please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought 20r and 22r both shared flywheels just not clutches. I checked the flywheel before I put it in and it had the same od the same spacing from where it bolts the crank to the height of the teeth and the same tooth count.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just in case someone else looks this up. It was a bad ground issue. Just ran a wire from the starter bolt to the NEG on the battery. And now no issue.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Just in case someone else looks this up. It was a bad ground issue. Just ran a wire from the starter bolt to the NEG on the battery. And now no issue.
If grounding is really the issue then this started because you were missing one or both of your main block grounds to begin with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts