Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I only own several pistols, a 20 guage shotgun, and a 10/22 rifle. I am looking for advice on a good rifle to take long shots with on the range (200 yds. or so) and could take deer hunting if need be. I like the Remington 710 and 770 in a .270. I don't like the fact that it comes with a scope, since I would rather invest in a better one than the Bushnell 3-9x40 package deal.

I was going to try and keep my budget around $400.

My questions are: Is there another rifle in this price range that I would be happier with? Am I going to have to raise my budget to get a reliable rifle? What rifle would that be?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Look at the Savages with accu-triggers. In that price range the Savages are king.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Check out several gun forums and craigslist for rifles used. I found a Rem 700 in 30-06 for $250

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
craigslist won't let yo usell guns.

look for something in .243 or .270 (prefered)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I going to get a new, reliable gun for $400?

Any brand in particular to stay away from?

I know I want a .270.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
craigslist won't let yo usell guns.

look for something in .243 or .270 (prefered)
So thats why I've bought a shotgun and rifle and seen multiple handguns for sale there??

Thats what I thought. Their policy is no firearms but it doesn't usually work out that way

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Thats what I thought. Their policy is no firearms but it doesn't usually work out that way
Their policy requires that your post get caught; in most areas, nobody will report it, so unless the moderator for that area is on it (and is anti-guns) it won't get caught.

Try in a guns-are-scary area, and it'll get removed in minutes 'cause somebody who's scared of everything will report it as soon as you post it.

It's a dumb policy, but you can still find guns on CL, you just have to look a little harder, shorten up search terms (search rem instead of remington, sav instead of savage, etc., and you just have to sift through all the other crap that comes up with it).

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
The first deer rifle I ever bought was in Jr. High and was a 270 Winchester model 70. I mowed a lot of yards that year to get it (~$420 or so) and it has never let me down. It was a Wal-Mart package that came with a cheap Simmons scope that was adequate. Just a few years ago I upgraded it's optics to a Leopold VX1 and It has become a tack driver at 100yds (that's the longest range I've got around here to accurately measure the distance) but I've dropped deer with it in the 100-150 yds range. With some trigger time and a place to practice 150+ yd shots I would be comfortable in taking the shot with my 270 if the need ever arose. I think the model 70 production stopped in '05 or '06 but I had heard that they were going to begin production again soon, but don't know when. My vote is Model 70.

- Lee

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Look at the Savages with accu-triggers. In that price range the Savages are king.
I've never shot a cenrer fire rifle with the accu-trigger but my Savage .17hmr has got it and I will have to agree it is nice:smokin: When going from shooting it for a while to another one of my firearms really makes me wish they all had this feature, but I still love my Winchester Model 70 too. I'll shut up now.

- Lee

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Get a savage 110. If that is too much cash get a Stevens 200 (a savage without the accu-trigger). They are known to be good shooters out of the box, on the lower end price wise, made in the US, and easy to customize without sending it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
653 Posts
ive got a .270 for my first rifle and i use it for everything...deer, big, varmits, you name it. another good one is a 30-30

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I would go used if you can, as others said. Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's seem to be the most desired over-all.

I have an old Remington Model 721 in a .270 and it's an excellent rifle, it's a predecessor to the 700. I use it for everything, from coyotes to deer and Elk. It's light for an Elk but it works.

Main thing I don't like is the blind box magazine, I would prefer it had a floor plate that opened so you can unload the magazine all at once. With mine you have to rack them out individually.

Also, if it's an older Remington you find, check Remington's website for the Safety Modification Program. Most older Remington 721, 722's and 700's were recalled for a faulty safety, that in some cases discharged the rifle when taking the safety off. They will fix it for like $20.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Please don't get a 710, they feel shitty. I dont care if you have one and think it is the best rifle ever made. I have owned a few guns and that is one that I would never own. I would get an NEF Handi Rifle before I bought a 710. Now on with business, Savages are great, CZ rifles are quite nice, REAL Remingtons are good guns. Get what you like, search for a shooting forum specific to your state and throw a wanted ad up.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Please don't get a 710, they feel shitty. I dont care if you have one and think it is the best rifle ever made. I have owned a few guns and that is one that I would never own. I would get an NEF Handi Rifle before I bought a 710. Now on with business, Savages are great, CZ rifles are quite nice, REAL Remingtons are good guns. Get what you like, search for a shooting forum specific to your state and throw a wanted ad up.
Oh crap, I totally missed that... The Remington 710 is Remington's attempt to compete with Savage in the $300-400 price range. The bolt is sloppy, the fit and finish sucks, the stock is crappy and everything is plastic...

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy a 710.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually found a used savage 110 .270 with a 10x scope on it in very good condition at a local shop. He is wanting $340 for it. Should I bite?

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
how clean is it?

if there's a shitton of wear on it, no.

check the extractor - make sure it kicks the shell out.

offer him $300 :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts