Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my starter repaired and went to put it back on (haven't ran the jeep in 3 months and also put a new coil on that mentioned something about a resistor in its directions.) and tried to start it but nothing happend....was it because of that resistor on the coil?? plz help...i gotta get the rig running really soon.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Need more info...

Did it turn over? If so, was there spark?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing happend....it acted like a dead battery....my lights and everything else work...but nothing turned....and some of the wires were hot next to the starter....so i dunno if its my coil or what.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Sounds like your "repaired" starter isn't. Symptoms are of a frozen stater or frozen motor.

See if the motor will turn over by hand (socket on the crankshaft or whatever) and them I would pull the starter and make sure it works when it isn't installed. You can use some jumper cables and a battery to check it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it works....its already been tested...some of the wires get hot near the starter after i try to start it....the starter itself is fine....something else.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
The ballast resistor on the coil keeps the coil from burning out from having full voltage applied to it constantly...has NOTHING to do with the starter circuit.

If it isn't turning over in the rig, but is when you bench it there are a few possibilities:

Broken or high resistance hot wire
Broken or high resistance solenoid activation wire
Broken or disconnected ground wire
Installed so that the starter is jammed up somehow (friction holding it in place)
Bad ignition switch circuit
Dead battery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts