Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the final stages of wiring up the 5.0L in my Jeep, but is there anything I should do before starting it up? It has probably sat for a year or so. I know change the spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, but I am wondering about maybe putting a little bit of oil or something into the cylinders or something like that?

What would you guys to do an engine before starting it up if has been sitting?

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I've been waiting to ask this question, and get it all in one thread.

Ok, pull the dist and spin the oil pump. How exactly?

What is the specific tool used on which engine? SBC, SBF, 22r/e, etc?

How about an answer for these engines:

SBC
BBC
SBF - Windsor
BBF - 390/460 (same family there, right?)
Toy 20/22r/e
Jeep 4.0....other Jeeps?

·
Registered
487 Posts
For the chevy I get a piece of threaded rod and I grind the end to the shape of a flat screwdriver ,then stick one end in the drill and the other in the pump, I think i used 3/8" rod

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
I tried to prime the pump with a long screwdriver bit attatched to a drill for my SBC, didn't work:(

I borrowed a tool from a friend made from a distributer just for this, worked really nice;)

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
rusted said:
I've been waiting to ask this question, and get it all in one thread.

Ok, pull the dist and spin the oil pump. How exactly?

What is the specific tool used on which engine? SBC, SBF, 22r/e, etc?

How about an answer for these engines:
SBC
BBC
SBF - Windsor
BBF - 390/460 (same family there, right?)Toy 20/22r/e
Jeep 4.0....other Jeeps?
[/QUOTE

SBC-buy or make the tool.

BBF-(not the 390)370,429,460 use an 8mm socket tape it to some extensions(so you don't lose anything in the motor) and prime away.

i don't know the rest, off the top of my head.

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
larryboy said:
rusted said:
BBF-(not the 390)370,429,460 use an 8mm socket tape it to some extensions(so you don't lose anything in the motor) and prime away.
Whoops. It's 390/428 right? And no one's building a BBF 427 except for show purposes. Ford has so many BBs I can't keep up.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
crane, moroso, and a few others make a shaft for priming the pump - if you don't have the stuff to make one - check out summit racing orJegs

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
rusted said:

Whoops. It's 390/428 right? And no one's building a BBF 427 except for show purposes. Ford has so many BBs I can't keep up.
There are only two types of big block Ford
- FE (Ford/Edsel) series which are 332 352 360 390 406 427 428
- 385 series which are 370 429 460

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If the engine has been sitting that long I would also take an oil can and squirt some oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes to lube the rings - oh yea, and change the oil while your at it, before you prime it.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Made my sbc primer with an old dist and a hacksaw been using it for 20 years did the same thing for a sbf took about 10 min to make.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, change the oil, yank the dist and turn to prime, clockwise or counter?, then put a little oil in every cylinder.

That's it? I take it if I yank out the dist. just make a piece that matches the end of the dist. to use for priming right?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
OMG, I haven't worked on ann old Y-Block Ford in more than 20 years and now get to share what I learned back then.

The 390 series Ford big blocks Use a 1/4" hex shaft to drive the oil pump! Just tape a socket to an extension and chuck it up in your drill. It was so easy that I didn't bother to make a tool, in spite of having a South Bend tool room lathe in the basement.

Oh yeah, as for starting an egine that has sat for awhile, after priming it, pull the plugs and squirt some oil/diesel fuel in and crank it around a few times. Thrwow the plugs back inn and away you go. I prefer an oil/diesel fuel mixture as it flows well and burns out right away. Gasoline would work as well, but far less safely.

Peace,
Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts