Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a starting issue with cj7. I built a 258 and then took out the 258 that was worn out and put in the built motor and now have an issue with the starter grinding and not engaging correctly. Swapped starters three times and it starts but still grinds and gets worse until it won’t engage but only grinds. Anyone have any suggestions. I am thinking I may need to swap out the bell housing or something. ????

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
What do you mean by "built". What parts are not stock? Any chance it's the wrong flywheel or the flywheel is installed incorrectly?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Anyone had a starting issue with cj7. I built a 258 and then took out the 258 that was worn out and put in the built motor and now have an issue with the starter grinding and not engaging correctly. Swapped starters three times and it starts but still grinds and gets worse until it won’t engage but only grinds. Anyone have any suggestions. I am thinking I may need to swap out the bell housing or something. ????
Get a endoscope camera for your phone.
Remove the cover at the bottom of the bellhousing.
Crawl underneath and place endo-cam near the starter gear.
Have someone crank motor while you record video.
Watch video on phone or computer.
After watching video, you can decide what needs to be done.
Much better than asking the internet.

_

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a local motor shop Barr a build the motor. Stick 258. Put a new flywheel on it and put the engine in the Jeep. Had the grinding issue. Swapped out the flywheel and still have the issue. Swapped the starter three times and still have the issue.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried shims and it did not help. I am thinking that the bell housing just doesn’t work well with this new engine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Smartphone ones are relatively inexpensive too. Mines got a long enough reach I could put the camera end in the bellhousing and watch it from the drivers seat.
Just bought one off Amazon, wifis to the phone, awesome diagnostic tool for $30.
Wife asked if I was planning to do my own colonoscopy :laughing:

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I tried shims and it did not help. I am thinking that the bell housing just doesn’t work well with this new engine.
you should stop thinking.

258 block is 258 block.
even after they changed the casting to make it lighter the external dimensions never changed.

if you pulled out a 258 and put in a 258, everything you had before should work.

·
Registered
760 Posts
check the ring gear on the flywheel, it's the only part left that could have changed. I'm guessing either the ring gear is toast or it's not in the right location on the flywheel

Definitely check the ring gear offset, apparently there were differences over the years

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Stick or auto? I have seen people install the flex plate back asswards in the auto version. :flipoff2:
LS swap it anyway :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
you should stop thinking.

258 block is 258 block.
even after they changed the casting to make it lighter the external dimensions never changed.

if you pulled out a 258 and put in a 258, everything you had before should work.
Pretty much this. Either bad bendix on the starter, one of the gears is munched, or the new flywheel =/= the old flywheel. I assume you've turned this by hand and its not just one bad spot on the flywheel?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
did you put the large metal shim plate back on that goes between the engine and the bellhousing? are the alignment dowels in the back of the engine?

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
or maybe just shim the starter so it meshes properly?
You cannot shim a Jeep starter to correct the mesh. You can only adjust depth.

Summit racing sells a nice adjustable starter for the Jeeps at a reasonable price. This issue is very common.

Op, verify that dowels are in and that you have the correct flywheel(both are very easy).
If they’re correct, order the adjustable one and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts