Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I had I thread on here for the original chassis before I cut it up for scrap. I learned from my mistakes and have started over.

Spec Sheet Specs are as follows

New chassis with the subframe, 3x3 main frame rails, and then a blend of 2",1.75" and 1.5".

SBC 406 motor with 10.5:1 on propane
TH350
NP203/205 doubler with twin sticks
Unimog 406 axles
20" 2 piece (hummer style) beadlocks
47" Goodyear MTV's
ORI ST's 16" travel. (waiting since Feb for them)

I am also hoping to try and get a full licence plate on the this so I can drive it to the trail.

Here is what I have got done so far.

Well I have been gone with work for a long time (Military) and now I am working with a vengance to get this project on the wheels by winter. To help speed somethings up I did alot of Cad work while I was away and let the waterjet help me along.

My new subframe.

From this.. in my head to..

The nearly finished product (just tacked) I ran out gas for the welder.

And my link mounts for the axle.

It is all 3/8 44W plate. Heavy yes but it should hold up and it is all weight down low. It has both front and rear link mounts built in as well.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought I would share some more pictures of other parts of the build.

The tires and wheels.

These rims stock cover the portal very well even with my disk conversion.

Disk Conversion

The 10 bolt spacers were made from 4340 and the wheel plate is 1020 but it is 1" thick and then I still needed 3/8 spacers to use stock rockwell studs. Still trying to figure out which calipers I need.

Links (rear) screen shot.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Come on. Need specs, parts lists, more drawings.

I've been waiting for you to get moving on it.......I love Canadian builds:D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of yesterday.

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted too, I still need to make the front motor mounts but all the others are in an tacked. I did get the axle link brackets tacked and ready for next weekend and I even got some link material.

My wife is a bit bitter that I spent all day at the shop on our anniversary but I made it home from dinner.

On a side note I now have 2 vehicles that got hit with hail last night and will have to be done soon.

Enough talk, on with the pictures.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Damn thats some crazy plate work.....Im guessing weight isnt a huge concern?

Looks cool either way,it even looks like it was designed around using mog axles.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
It'll never work...all those maple leaves will cause stress risers and it will fall apart :flipoff2:

Good to see you back to work on the Mog project. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Come on. Need specs, parts lists, more drawings.

I've been waiting for you to get moving on it.......I love Canadian builds:D
You and me Both. Glad to see everything coming together.:flipoff2:

Sapper. I should be up soon to help you work on it. So you better have stuff for me to do.

Subscribed!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I really like the subframe design. Are you doing all of the CAD work and machining yourself?

Where did you get those wheels? They have the rockwell pattern?

What are you going to name your Buggy?

I dub thee the "Maple Sniffer"

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a number of reasons for the subframe but I am mainly going to be building this in the driveway. I now have a completely square and level (0.0) subframe to build up from in my non-level garage and driveway. Weight is and isn't a concern for me but I want my axles to be kept under control.

I have been able to do more in a couple of weeks then I have been able to do in months before with the previous chassis I had started.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the subframe design. Are you doing all of the CAD work and machining yourself?

Where did you get those wheels? They have the rockwell pattern?

What are you going to name your Buggy?

I dub thee the "Maple Sniffer"
CAD work I have done all myself but the machine work was a joint effort with the father in law so far. He has 40 years practice on me but I am learing a lot from him and I want to as much of it myself as possible.

The wheels took me 3 years of hunting threw scrap dealer that deal with the military up here. Yeah they are rockwell pattern hence why I did my disk conversion the way I did.

Name I have kinda thought about and I think it is going to be either;

Pestilence, Infidel, or Zombie Hate Machine... Maybe I need a vote on this thread...

·
Registered
76 Posts
The plate sub-frame is awesome and those tires look like old MT/Rs

·
Registered
49 Posts
Name I have kinda thought about and I think it is going to be either;

Pestilence, Infidel, or Zombie Hate Machine... Maybe I need a vote on this thread...
Infidel for sure, seeing there are Mercedes Axles, it fits it better then the other two.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't seem to find the rear pinion angle in any of my unimog manuals. I searched here too but still couldn't find it either. I did find the front has to have the caster set at 7* but what is the pinion at when the caster is set at 7*?

I am just about ready to start burning in my axle brackets now that I made myself an improvised tram gauge.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts