Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scout will turn only turn over very slowly. It is like it is not getting enough amps........could this be the starter? The grounds are good. New Painless kit.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Could be you have a bad cable going from the battery to the starter. Does your positive cable get really hot? I had the same problem and fixed it by installing a Ford solenoid on the firewall and bypassing the solenoid on the starter. I also replaced the cables with new, heavy gauge cables. No more problems ;)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Rubicrawler said:
Could be you have a bad cable going from the battery to the starter. Does your positive cable get really hot? I had the same problem and fixed it by installing a Ford solenoid on the firewall and bypassing the solenoid on the starter. I also replaced the cables with new, heavy gauge cables. No more problems ;)
What he left out.....

"I dicked around with it for two weeks, this really smart guy I know recommended the Ford Solenoid. I blew him off, figured what the hell does he know. Spent another two weeks messing with it, installed a new motor, transmission, axles and bunch of other sheet. Then my wife reminded me what the smart guy said about the solenoid. So down I went, bought the 10 dollar part and some new cables. What ya know the Scout started right up with the solenoid"

:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
jdjanda said:

What he left out.....

"I dicked around with it for two weeks, this really smart guy I know recommended the Ford Solenoid. I blew him off, figured what the hell does he know. Spent another two weeks messing with it, installed a new motor, transmission, axles and bunch of other sheet. Then my wife reminded me what the smart guy said about the solenoid. So down I went, bought the 10 dollar part and some new cables. What ya know the Scout started right up with the solenoid"

:flipoff2: :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
TravisSSII said:
My Scout will turn only turn over very slowly. It is like it is not getting enough amps........could this be the starter? The grounds are good. New Painless kit.
well when i had a 392 in my scout...the starter did the same thing that you described...i put a new one in. Worked great, then it started the same thing about 4-5 months later...i thought that it was just getting too hot, so i would bang on it with a wrench and it would start up everytime.

OR

You can do what jdjanda said and what rubicrawler said...this will eliminate the wrench banging on the starter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
How long has it been sitting now Travis? One month, more? Go get your battery tested. Did you reuse the starter from the 196?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Hmmm.. had that happen once when I smacked the starter while installing the motor.

Replaced, no more problems.

Had it happen once again after packing the starter full of mud.

Another time I had the starter smoking and it was turning over REALLY slowly.

Turns out, that's what happens when you only have half of your main and rod bearings still in place, and they've spun at least 1/4 turn and are jammed in there.

Turn it over with a break-bar once and it'll run like a champ for a little while.. until it sticks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts