Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going back and forth here and can't decide...i know its all just compression load and thats not as bad as what the suspension links will go through...but what is considered a safe static load...

i can get one heim at 40, 572 lbs or for $6.50 less there is a 16,565 lbs rated heim...

since there is one on each end of my tie rod it would take double that to destroy it...so would a 16,565 lbs heim be more than enough? or do i need the extra?

what are some of the ratings on your heims?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
While you may be able to get away with the less expensive heim, lets think about this. You say for $6.50 more you can get a heim that is nearly 3x as strong. For $13 for both ends is it really worth risking? I can find a lot of other places to save $13, than my steering.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
PurdueYJ said:
i am going back and forth here and can't decide...i know its all just compression load
No. :rolleyes:

since there is one on each end of my tie rod it would take double that to destroy it...
Care to explain this? :rolleyes: :confused:

Pete

·
Registered
499 Posts
PurdueYJ said:
...i know its all just compression load and thats not as bad as what the suspension links will go through...

since there is one on each end of my tie rod it would take double that to destroy it...
I agree with Pete - your thoughts here are not correct. I'll assume that you have a drag link which connects to the right-side knuckle and not to the tie-rod.

1) These rod ends will see BOTH compressive and tensile loads. Think about turning to the left. The tie rod is pushing the left-side tire (compression) to turn it to the left. Now turning to the right - the tie rod is pulling on the left-side tire (tension) to turn it to the right.

2) Yes, you have 2 tie rod ends, one at each end of the tie rod. But the load experienced by the tie rod IS the load each rod end sees. NOT divided in half.

But this analysis doesn't really matter, since it's only $13 extra. Get the stronger rod ends! :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know there are plenty of places to save money...just how much is overkill? i have never hit a heim hard on a trail...this will be the first...for all i know the 16,000 is already overkill??

by saying it would take double to break...i meant that if you have a 16K on each end...that brings the strength to 32K...it would take 32K to break them...by then i am thinking the tube would bend anyways...which brings me back to is the 16K already more than plenty?

i am running 38.5x14.50 SX on hummer wheels wtih 60f and 14br

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
PurdueYJ said:
hhmmmmmm...maybe PIG will hop in here and explain then...he is the one i talked to about the strength stuff...maybe i misinterpreted him...although i finally reached wheeler status i am still a newb in this area...thanks guys...
[/url]
You kind of did misinterpret me but that was probably my fault because my explination kind of sucked. Here is the deal under normal use the rod ends do not share the load. However, say that your tire is wedged in a crevas which in turn is forcing the tire (drivers side) towards the center of the vechicle while the other tire (free) is being turned towards he center of he vechicle as well. In this instance the rod ends are sharing the (total) load however, if the same rod end is being used in the drag link it wouldn't matter because those would be loaded "normally".

The main point I was trying to convey to you durring our discussion was that the need for a rod end with such a large static load rating is unneccessary. Drop me a line Purdue and I will work with you on either one (heat treatd or non heat treated beacuse thats all we are talking about here).

·
Vendor
3,745 Posts
What are you going to make your tierod out of? If you use the 1 1/2 x 1/4 wall like the 40,000 lb rod end guys use, your tie rod will buckle at around 15,000 lbs, so the 40,000 lb rod ends don't do you much good, the rod-ends will never see 40,000 lbs, they will see 15,000 lbs. max (according the Euler column buckling curve, with a length of 50"), because once the tie-rod starts to buckle, it wont take any more load. Maybe sundowner will jump in, he probably knows more about Euler column buckling than me. If you make the tubing smaller, the critical buckling load will be alot less.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is the tubing size i was planning on using....1.5 OD with .25 wall...thats a good point...about 15,000...but that cuts it close to 16,000....

i think if i hit a rock good i would rather the 40,000lbs SRE hold and lose the tube...new tube will cost me about $15 whereas the ends are more

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Hey Kosta, you tube is in BTW. Majorly thick stuff. I like it!

·
Vendor
3,745 Posts
GirlfriendYJ said:
that is the tubing size i was planning on using....1.5 OD with .25 wall...thats a good point...about 15,000...but that cuts it close to 16,000....

i think if i hit a rock good i would rather the 40,000lbs SRE hold and lose the tube...new tube will cost me about $15 whereas the ends are more
I dont think you would ever buckle a tie rod, you would most likely bend one from hitting something, In that case, It will only take about a 1000 lbs to bend that tie rod.

·
Registered
207 Posts
GOAT1 said:

I dont think you would ever buckle a tie rod, you would most likely bend one from hitting something, In that case, It will only take about a 1000 lbs to bend that tie rod.
exactly right... once it has a small bend, it takes almost nothing to bend it into a "V"... i have pics but can't post em yet... damn newbie status.:D

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't know all the technical crap, but what I do know is that when I bent my Hi-steer arm (1"x2" steel) my "wimpy" 16000lb rod end held up fine and was just as tight as ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts