Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know any stats on Stearling (?) rears used in newer Fords? I know all the talk is 14bolt FF, D60/70 FF for the everyday trail rig (Rockwells are not even in the same catagory). But what about the Ford rear? I know they have a pretty large ring gear diameter and all and they seem to be pretty common and showing up more in some junk yards (auto parts recyclers to be politically correct). What gives with these axles as far as strength, I understand them to be stronger than a D60 (or at least equal). How about pinion height, pinion bearing support, and ground clearance....and all the other issues we love the 14bolt and D60/70 for? driving behind these rigs they don't seem to hang as low. Yes, I have been too lazy ....and it is too cold outside to crawl under someones rig to check it out. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
97 and older = 10.25
97 and newer = 10.5
Both are $$$$$$ for gears and lockers
They are strong though, just a Dana axle or 14 bolt is cheaper

·
Registered
792 Posts
They are not as "popular" as D60 and 14 bolt but I think they are just as strong, They are the best "bang for the Buck" ... gears are getting cheaper everyday... if its for a "street truck" you can easily score 4.10's look for standard trans trucks. heck I am putting one under a trailer just cause I could not even sell it for $100.... There is really no "worthwhile" difference between the 10.25 and 10.5..... Be advised the 99 and newer trucks have 8 lug "metric" pattern and 97 and older have Standard 8 lug pattern......

good luck....

P.S. I have a D60 rear with 4.10 and a "true-trac" carrier for sale.... will take $250.... complete with drums and brakes...

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The tubes in the sterlings are thicker then what is found in the 60's and 14b's. The axles are plenty beefy and some lockers are available like an ARB for one. The gears are $300+ though but once they start selling I expect that to come down but if you think about it that is the same price as buying 35 spline axles for a 60 just these are lunkyard price if you need another one.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
The 97 and newer trucks have everything bolted on too. You start with an unmolested axle tube once you strip everything off.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
IIRC, i heard (maybe on the older models) you could only get 4.56's for them. dunno.

Alot of Furd guys slap 14B under thier f-150's and stuff as the parts a cheap as hell and plentiful.

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
I have been told that Ford offers up to 7.17 factory gears for these things:eek: I think one of these axles sheved would be very cool.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sterling rear has 35spline 1.5" shafts (same as most Dana 70's). 14 bolt has 30spline 1.5" shafts.

Also, it appears that this axle dosen't hang down as low as a 14 bolt or Dana70.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You can get up to 5.38 that I know of.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
I have one out back, Waiting for somthing to do with the metric bolt pattern. They also have factory disc brakes and a small drum brake for parking.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
liveaxle said:
Sterling rear has 35spline 1.5" shafts (same as most Dana 70's). 14 bolt has 30spline 1.5" shafts.

Also, it appears that this axle dosen't hang down as low as a 14 bolt or Dana70.
This is incorrect, the 35 spline on the sterling axle is 45* pressure angle, the dana 60, 70, 80 35 spline is 30*. The 9" soild pinion bearing spacer can be used in the sterling, the chrush collar is the weak link in the 10.5 and the oil level is one quart to low. After these modifications this uint will eat a 14 bolt. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
steve gerstner said:
This is incorrect, the 35 spline on the sterling axle is 45* pressure angle, the dana 60, 70, 80 35 spline is 30*. The 9" soild pinion bearing spacer can be used in the sterling, the chrush collar is the weak link in the 10.5 and the oil level is one quart to low. After these modifications this uint will eat a 14 bolt. steve differential eng. inc.

What's incorrect about what I said? I didn't say anything about the spline style. The sterling has 35 spline 1.5" shafts as does most Dana 70's. Please think twice about what you are writing before you say that something is incorrect.

;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
liveaxle said:

What's incorrect about what I said? I didn't say anything about the spline style. The sterling has 35 spline 1.5" shafts as does most Dana 70's. Please think twice about what you are writing before you say that something is incorrect.

;)
I do not need to think twice, i got it right the first time. You wrote (same as most dana 70's) these parts are not the same, they will not fit each other - try it - slip a dana side gear on a sterling axle. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
steve gerstner said:
I do not need to think twice, i got it right the first time. You wrote (same as most dana 70's) these parts are not the same, they will not fit each other - try it - slip a dana side gear on a sterling axle. steve differential eng. inc.

Steve admit when you are wrong. I did not say that the axle are identical. The shafts most likely aren't the same length either and you aren't harping about that are you? I was refering to the spline count and axle diameter, this is evident because those are the two things that I mentioned.

If I said to you that my truck is an '85 and tan colored the same as my neighbor's truck that dosen't mean that I'm saying that they both have fuel injection.

Use your head.

·
Registered
479 Posts
1 Qt. too low????

What is the accepted mod to cure this and is it even a problem for a road/tow vehicle?

Cory

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
liveaxle said:
Sterling rear has 35spline 1.5" shafts (same as most Dana 70's).
What steve has clearly stated is that the sterling splines are cut stronger than a Dana 70 splines so the sterling splines are different and Non-interchangeable with Dana 70 shafts Any Gearing is avaliable for the sterling if it is a pre 93 axle you must get a new yoke. Carrier shims are outside of the carrier. I just got Gears/install/Detroit for my Sterling $1022 shipped yes that is a lot of $$$$ but It is a matter of prefrance and the fact that the sterling is the best axle of choice and needs no shaveing and is essentially trussed from the factory. And something else i learned from talking with Steve. The inner wheel bearing on a sterling is the SAME inner wheel bearing as found on duce-and-a-half

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Doesn't need shaving? How is that? It would have to be in the same range of clearance as the D70 just based on ring gear diameter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts