Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 1017 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Do you have to run a rear hatch? Usually they are minimal to allow tire clearance. Just a little around the edges.
only reason is to keep in cab dust down.

i'd say it would be worth it for the couple pounds it will weigh

edit: if they consider it not a door, then skin it, weld it and close it with some plastic

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I read that, but I would argue that a hatch is not a door.

A 4Runner is considered a four-door, not a five door.

I agree with this 100%.

How many 4600 cherokees, grand cherokees and any other SUV style rig out there are running hatches? Where do you put the spare tires:confused:

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Once all the glass is removed and half doors are on, the hatch won’t do much.
math numbers pressure, it will catch some wind to keep it from blowing straight through as bad, little bit of a bubble.

hell, I guess it is easy enough to test if it will be enough to matter or not, roll down all the windows and remove the windshield, tear up and down a couple dirt roads with the rear glass rolled up and with it rolled down.

might not be enough to matter or it might be, really only takes about half hour to decide if right for him or not.

I find that I prefer dusty roads with the back glass up if windows are down in a 4runner, but I've not tried it without a windshield or windscreen of any sort

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,544 Posts
An example of a rear “hatch”. Only the ring around the window was kept.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
4600 Class rules above (and pasted above again)

KOH Rules for this part of the build:
8.2.11: Stock doors may be modified to create half-doors and/or may also be replaced with tubular doors. Doors must open and close, bolted on panels are not allowed.
8.3.2 - 3:Stock doors may be modified to create half-doors and/or may also be replaced with tubular doors. Doors must open and close, bolted on panels are not allowed.
Sounds like tube doors would have solved all this nonsense. Sell your 4 "good stock doors" and rear hatch to recoup that expense. "Keep the dust down"....Come awn! Is he going to be rocking the AC as well. Hate to get too hot in the race suit. :rolleyes:

This is the most overthought thread on the internet right now I swear.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Couple of examples....
Yeah, it's actually odd. A ton of 4600 rigs put tubing and latches in when the class was first announced. But lately, I've seen the same rigs adding a tailgate or hatch back on. Maybe for rules changes - maybe to keep the dust down - maybe for sponsor "looks".

I specifically recall a 1st gen removing the tube and latches the 3rd or so year of 4600 and putting a stock tailgate back on per Tech request I think... Maybe some of them will chime in.

In last year's race, I felt like the majority of 4600 rigs had a stock looking tailgate or rear hatch, but I may be wrong.

EDIT:
Found it: VAROKCRWLR - Jan 10, 2015 - "Had to modify the rear bumper. Apparently when the rule book says all doors must operate...this includes a working tailgate....so off with the old and on with the new:"

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1967217-4667-stock-class-4runner-build-rebuild-2.html#post29828825

Thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1967217-4667-stock-class-4runner-build-rebuild-2.html

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Rare for pirate lately, but there's actually some good discussions in this thread. :D

As for the gear choice. Like has already been stated. KOH is a bunch sprints in the desert. Way to many guys focus on swinging dick top speed numbers. I've done ok at KOH. I think the top speed I've ever seen was 72mph, this year we never saw over 56mph.

A lot of guys run spools up front. But most of the fast guys in the desert are running open in the desert with selectable lockers. Will handle better, steer better in the rocks and easier on parts.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Rare for pirate lately, but there's actually some good discussions in this thread. :D

As for the gear choice. Like has already been stated. KOH is a bunch sprints in the desert. Way to many guys focus on swinging dick top speed numbers. I've done ok at KOH. I think the top speed I've ever seen was 72mph, this year we never saw over 56mph.

A lot of guys run spools up front. But most of the fast guys in the desert are running open in the desert with selectable lockers. Will handle better, steer better in the rocks and easier on parts.
Solid advice - thank you! We're definitely doing selectable ARB in the front. Still waiting to see if we can change our 4.56 to 4.88 or higher - we ordered the RJ60 a few weeks ago, but I think we're going to end up with 4.88s.

I thought my team had some good advice when I spoke with them about the gears last week:

In summary:
- We can go to a 4.88s, but we wouldn't go any lower than that.
- Guys running 5.38s have 1 ton axle under their light weight buggies, not IFS diffs sitting under an SUV.
- Running in 4600 class is a ballet of compromises. We don't have the luxury of throwing the biggest and strongest at this so we have to play it smart with our compromises.
- Running anything bigger than 4.88 and we think we'll be looking at replacing the front diff a number of times during the race.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Sounds like tube doors would have solved all this nonsense. Sell your 4 "good stock doors" and rear hatch to recoup that expense. "Keep the dust down"....Come awn! Is he going to be rocking the AC as well. Hate to get too hot in the race suit. :rolleyes:

This is the most overthought thread on the internet right now I swear.
wasn't keeping A/C one of the first things stated on page 1? :flipoff2:

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Doors are locked in, but I'm going to have to do something creative for the rear hatch. Really wish I could find a way to take a hatch or tailgate and get it to fit somehow.

Salvage hatches are $$$.
You're stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. It has to function like the stock piece in "spirit". I hope you gut and cut all the salvage doors in half.

There was a few times around hammertown where I couldnt see my hand in front of my face due to dust. Open desert running balls out (you wont have the suspension to hit high speeds like U4) at 50mph there wont be a dust problem.

My quick search didnt turn up. But which company build a newer gen 4runner just to prove the IFS can handle 35s? RCV? FROR?

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Front Range Offroad built a 3rd gen using an 8" front diff from a newer (I don't know much about anything, so year range is for somebody who cares to look it up) toyota and it seems to be working well on 37" tires

RCV/Tech Tim was running 35"s for a long time and posting about it on here for a while. Several others have also made decent compromise setups, but I don't know that there has been a Toyota IFS finisher at KOH

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
- Running anything bigger than 4.88 and we think we'll be looking at replacing the front diff a number of times during the race.
You really think you would be replacing a diff during a race? Multiple times? There is a time limit on crossing the finish line ;)

Front Range Offroad built a 3rd gen using an 8" front diff from a newer (I don't know much about anything, so year range is for somebody who cares to look it up) toyota and it seems to be working well on 37" tires
I would love to see any details about this (especially if it's a 3rd gen). Sounds cool as hell

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
You really think you would be replacing a diff during a race? Multiple times? There is a time limit on crossing the finish line ;)

I would love to see any details about this (especially if it's a 3rd gen). Sounds cool as hell
https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/

This 1996 Toyota 4Runner Proves IFS Doesn’t Have to Be Weak

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2420234-ifs-stronger-better-options-now.html

post #27. it is a really nice setup, saw it out there at the first trail hero, hopefully it is out there again this year. I would love to do this to my wifes car :laughing: it would beat the hell out of a solid axle for a 99% street rig, saving my pennies now so it will probably be a decade and fully fleshed out design by the time I can get to it

edit: so FROR is using "03 and up" front end parts, this thread being about an 06 should match and be buildable that way. like I said, I've never paid much attention to the newer stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Keep the motivational posts coming!
I'm not meaning to be a dick about it, just pointing out what we're all seeing here.

Maybe you and your team are getting ready to start cutting, gutting, fabbing, and making this an actual race car.

All we're seeing are minor bolt-on mods and a reluctance to really tear into the car. I truly hope you prove us wrong.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Agreed - Exactly what we're trying to avoid.

121 - 140 of 1017 Posts